Tripe Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Pirate bought a three pound package of honeycomb tripe. So now I get to cook this hunk of a cows tummy for hours and then have to cut it into bite size pieces. After that they are put in a pasta sauce (which I won't be eating) to finish cooking.

The last time I help making this was more than 45 years ago. There is a reason it has been so long. It is a LOT of work. :angel:

Put Pirate to work scrubbing it with several changes of lemon water, using a fingernail brush. That's very important! Have him cut it up first before you cook it. I bet it's the last time he ever brings it home. ;)

It's been many years, but I always boiled it outside, and so does everyone else around here when making Menudo.
The smell will tell you it's Fri nights here when everyone is making weekend Menudo. :zorro:

Last edited:
That recipe sounds sooo good AB. Do you remember when Campbell's made Pepper Pot soup? I loved it!

I remember the Campbell's version and one version from a local restaurant that was very good. These days I would skip the tripe, unless someone gave it to me, and use a piece of round steak.

My ex-wife used to make it in the crock pot. She would start it in the morning before work and it was done when she got home.

I had tripe soup in Paris and was not fond of it.
I'd be game to try again but sounds like a lot of
work for one person and what if I still don't like it?
lol

Pirate made a marinara sauce and cut up the tripe in small pieces. He then added it to the sauce. I do not eat tripe. But I did help him cut it up. It must have been really good. Even Teddy had his fill of it also. And Pirate made it very spicy. It had already been cleaned when he bought it. So there was no need for it to be scrubbed. He did rinse it though before he put it on to boil. Spike was here and he had a couple of bowls also with big chunks of Italian bread to dip into the gravy. I would say it was a success. [/I]:angel:

Back
Top Bottom