Trying Another Roast- Tri Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mylegsbig said:
i want to do it low and slow.

I would do it on the grill, like a thick steak, or at high heat in the oven.

However, in his 1977 treatise, Theory and Practice of Good Cooking, James Beard does suggest one method for low-temperature roasting of a rib roast, which might work with a smaller tri-tip. His method can be summarized as follows:
Leave the meat at room temperature for several hours (I'm not too keen on that). Season it with pepper and rosemary and put it on a rack in a shallow roasting pan (which allows the heat to circulate). Take the roast's internal temperature at the center of the thickest portion.

Heat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Roast the meat about 20 minutes per pound without basting. After two hours (that would make this a 6-pound roast), take the temperature again, salt the roast and add a little more pepper.

Continue roasting for another hour. Take the temperature again and calculate the time it will take to reach 120 to 125 degrees Fahrenheit (e.g., if it's going up 10 degrees an hour and is at 110, it will take roughly one more hour). When it gets to 120 to 125, which is medium rare, remove the roast and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.

Again, this method is for a much larger piece of meat than what you have. Whether it will work well with a smaller roast is something you'll have to find out. One problem that I anticipate is that because the cooking time will be much shorter for a small roast, the outside of the roast won't be as well-browned as most people would prefer. That contrast between the well-done, deeply browned exterior and the juicy red interior of the roast adds to the overall enjoyment of the meal.

Last edited:
jkath said:
Mish, I think you read about the Santa Maria tri tip from me a couple of years ago. It's awesome! /quote]

No, jkath. I read an article about Santa Maria and tri-tip from another source. That is why I post links to the source.

Okay guys screw it, im gonna do it your way

help me out here as im on a limited time frame

im going to sear this piece of meat on on all sides, then set it aside, and pack garlic slivers under the fat layer.

Then i will be transferring it to an oven, in a glass 13x9 casserole dish, dry roasting it.

How long should i roast it for and at what temperature

I'm going to marinade the roast first. Marinate it with some Budweiser and stuff called Bone Suckin Sauce.

I take it i should wipe off the marinate completely before searing.

then after i sear, and let it cool, i can slide my garlic cloves under the fat layer, and season the piece of meat on both sides before putting it in the oven.

Can i put a bed of onions under this roast will dry roasting it? or will that make the meat come out soggy from the steam?

disregard that..im gonna cook it as a pot roast

there is a HUGE layer of fat on the topside to keep it tender...not to mention my beer + bone suckin sauce

i personally think i will turn this thing into a badass pot roast

if i fail, i will come here and eat crow.

mish said:
Beth, I don't have an outdoor grill, so when I find a recipe I like, I use another cooking method. Re the weber - there are some excellent recipes and tips here:

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/recipe/menu.aspx

And the Santa Maria tri-tip recipe here:

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/recipe/view.aspx?c=beef&r=195

Thanks mish and jkath, I think I can do the santa Maria recipe, does not look intimidating at all. And connie, thanks for the carmelizing onion recipe, I wonder if I can use that on one of the rib eye roasts? Trust me, I understand some cuts of meats are not pot roast material! But what other cuts of meat could be used for Connies recipe? But I am getting ahead of myself, do not have the least bit of confidence to pull the rib eye roasts from the freezer yet. btw, the chuck roast, pot roast, turned our heavenly today.

Okaymy roast came out perfectly tender and delicious.

Tri tip sirloin is perfectly finefor pot roast.

what about my roast did you guys expect to fail?

too dry and tough?

i don't see how, maybe my cut of tri tip was different?

it had a huge half inch layer of fat covering the entire bottom of the roast.

it was extremely tender and delicious.

lol did some of you just frown on me using a 10/lb cut of meat for a meager dish like pot roast?

the chuck had fantastic flavor, but it was annoying cutting around those big chunks of fat and gristle. childhood phobia i have from eating crappy steaks and biting into gristle(my mom was the worst cook)

Either way me my bro and my fiancee loved it.

I rubbed it with sea salt, cracked pepper, and seared it for 4 minutes a side.

then i let it cool, and cut slits, and jammed a bunch of garlic cloves in there.

then i rubbed it with thyme.

finally, i poured in about 6oz Bone Suckin Sauce(omg amazing)

and 12 oz beer.

the rest i used spring water to cover half the roast.

i also threw in a bunch of sauteed onion wedges and carrot chunks.

DELICIOUS!

im using it on corn tacos today.

thanks for all the feedback guys!

Cheers

" OBTW if you want to add beer to a braise try a stout ot good porter..."

i used a stout last time. the flavor along with the BBQ sauce was overpowering.

I shred the meat and make enchildas tacos from my pot roasts.

the budweiser was much milder.

Hopz said:
its me again... read this: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html

It will teach you about tri-tip.

nuff said.....

IMNSHO you should marinate and grill the tritip. Then go get a nice pot roast...

OBTW if you want to add beer to a braise try a stout ot good porter...

i dont see where they says i cannot make a pot roast with tri tip? as i said, i dont have a grilll. one more monrh....just one more month...god im getting so anxious its annoying (getting a house in a month, cant BBQ on my apt balcony.

as i said, i have cooked a pot roast with a chuck, and a pot roast with a tri tip, and i preferred the tri tip. very delicious.

I like the way pot roast meat STORES in the fridge better than steak like meat. it always reheats nasty and dry,

pot roast reheats betterthan the day before.

for those saying a tri tip pot roast doesnt come out good, you should try it yourself. im new to roasting and mine came out delicious. everyone in my fam enjoyed it.

MLB... yes! I also shred my leftover pot roast (and pork butts too) to make burritos, barbacoa and chili verde.

Good luck on the house and grill. Tritip is a new cut for me, and so far I've only used it on the grill. Two home runs for two at bats... I like it.
Let us hear how your turns out.

yeah i already tried the tritip in the pot roast with amazing results.

next time this tritip is going into the smoker.

now THAT should be interesting.

I'm glad your pot roast was enjoyed by all, and happy to hear that it came out better than your first try. Practice makes perfect when it comes to cooking, and hopefully each new effort will be better than the last.

But understand that one could go throw a 5-pound filet mignon or NY strip in a pot with onions, garlic, carrots, beer or wine, and other seasonings, put the pot in the oven for a few hours, and end up with a very tasty dish, I'm sure. That doesn't mean that those are the best meats for pot roast, nor does it mean that such cooking is the best preparation for such cuts.

There are differences in the physical characteristics of various cuts of meat that make some better for one purpose than another. I suggest that next time you try a brisket, center cut. It's extremely lean and makes great pot roast. Or try a cross-bone chuck, bottom round, or 7-bone roast, all relatively inexpensive and well suited to pot roasting.

FryBoy said:
I'm glad your pot roast was enjoyed by all, and happy to hear that it came out better than your first try. Practice makes perfect when it comes to cooking, and hopefully each new effort will be better than the last.

But understand that one could go throw a 5-pound filet mignon or NY strip in a pot with onions, garlic, carrots, beer or wine, and other seasonings, put the pot in the oven for a few hours, and end up with a very tasty dish, I'm sure. That doesn't mean that those are the best meats for pot roast, nor does it mean that such cooking is the best preparation for such cuts.

There are differences in the physical characteristics of various cuts of meat that make some better for one purpose than another. I suggest that next time you try a brisket, center cut. It's extremely lean and makes great pot roast. Or try a cross-bone chuck, bottom round, or 7-bone roast, all relatively inexpensive and well suited to pot roasting.

I've never seen a center-cut from the brisket. The usual choice is between the point cut and the flat or first cut. Most people recommend the leaner flat/first cut, with its outer layer of fat, but some like the point cut, which has more internal fat. I'd think you'd have to buy a whole brisket to get the center cut.

But yes, I agree with your assessment of what constitutes a cut of meat suitable for pot roasting as opposed to a more tender cut suited for roasting or grilling. The tender cuts lose flavor from being overcooked, while long, slow cooking, which breaks down all that connective tissue, enhances the flavor of the tougher cuts.

MLB, basically, as a general rule, the more tender a cut of beef is or the more marbling it has, the quicker you want to cook it beit from grilling, searing, etc. Remember that there's a difference between marbling and fat. Marbling is fat that's within the connective tissues and is what gives certain cuts of beef both it's texture and flavor. Fat can just be the cap on the beef and not do anything for the interior of the cut.

Like Fryboy said, you could even braise a Kobe striploin roast and it will taste great, but why would you? In essence there's nothing wrong with it; it's your food and you can cook it how you like. But in order to extract the best possible flavor from a cut, there are better ways of cooking than others. Most tri-tips that I buy have a good deal of marbling and flavor. I would hate to lose that through slow cooking and a braising liquid.

FryBoy said:
That doesn't mean that those are the best meats for pot roast, nor does it mean that such cooking is the best preparation for such cuts.

im sorry but this is purely subjective. the characteristics that make a chuck roast preferable to most people is the way the muscle ligament or tendons or whatever beak down during cooking and the higher fat content makes the flavor better.

i personally dont eat a piece of meat with connective tissue and all of that stuff in there. if i get a bite out of that meat, it will cause me to gag, and ruin an entire meal.

and lol, of course a filet mignon(well, tenderloin, filet would be too small) would taste good as a pot roast. how could it not?

i don't follow any rigid guidelines for cooking. my tri tip roast was delicious and much better than my chuck. less fat and gristle to cut around.

The butcher at my meat market said as long as i have some good liquid in the dutch oven the tri tip roast would cook just fine as a pot roast. he was right.

ironchef said:
MLB, basically, as a general rule, the more tender a cut of beef is or the more marbling it has, the quicker you want to cook it beit from grilling, searing, etc. Remember that there's a difference between marbling and fat. Marbling is fat that's within the connective tissues and is what gives certain cuts of beef both it's texture and flavor. Fat can just be the cap on the beef and not do anything for the interior of the cut.

Like Fryboy said, you could even braise a Kobe striploin roast and it will taste great, but why would you? In essence there's nothing wrong with it; it's your food and you can cook it how you like. But in order to extract the best possible flavor from a cut, there are better ways of cooking than others. Most tri-tips that I buy have a good deal of marbling and flavor. I would hate to lose that through slow cooking and a braising liquid.

ironchef, this meat was only 8.99 a pound dude. im not worried about compromising the integrity of the beef. i was in the mood for pot roast. all my butcher had was chuck, and tri tip. If i want some immaculate cut of beef i will get a kobe filet or something similar.

i have no qualms about pot roasting meat that is 9 dollars a pound.

it was only 2 lbs anyway.

Mylegsbig said:
im sorry but this is purely subjective. the characteristics that make a chuck roast preferable to most people is the way the muscle ligament or tendons or whatever beak down during cooking and the higher fat content makes the flavor better.

i personally dont eat a piece of meat with connective tissue and all of that stuff in there. if i get a bite out of that meat, it will cause me to gag, and ruin an entire meal.

and lol, of course a filet mignon(well, tenderloin, filet would be too small) would taste good as a pot roast. how could it not?

i don't follow any rigid guidelines for cooking. my tri tip roast was delicious and much better than my chuck. less fat and gristle to cut around.

The butcher at my meat market said as long as i have some good liquid in the dutch oven the tri tip roast would cook just fine as a pot roast. he was right.

My legs big, I wouldn't say that the differences in cuts of meat and how they cook are purely subjective. But our tastes and our preferences certainly are. I would politely remind you, though, that when you ask for advice, as you've done here and previously in great detail, that you should expect honest answers meant only to be helpful. If you disagree with the answers and the advice, sometimes a courteous "thank you" is the better reply.

Back
Top Bottom