"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-25-2006, 11:36 PM   #11
Master Chef

I'd cook it at a higher temp, maybe 425 or 450, but that's just me. It's a roast that will get really dry if you overcook it, so medium rare or medium is as far as I'd go with it. Higher heat will brown the exterior in a shorter amount of time. It probably only needs to cook for 30-40 minutes or so (maybe longer) but use that meat thermometer.

A glass baking dish is fine -- you can roast the carrots and spuds in it along with the meat. Make sure you stir them so they don't burn or stick. Coat them lightly in evoo and salt them before cooking.

I wouldn't cut open the meat but you could slip them under the fat layer.

Go ahead and marinate it if you want. You then may not need a rub, but if you do use one, make one that compliments the BBQ sauce flavor. I would suggest thyme, but maybe salt/pepper/garlic powder/onion powder/cumin/chili powder or something along those lines.

For pot roast next time, try a bottom round roast. It's leaner than chuck. Chuck generally tastes better but that's because it's fattier. Fat = flavor, unfortunatley. It's a trade off.

Good Luck.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:41 PM   #12
Head Chef

thanks alot jen

Old 08-26-2006, 12:17 AM   #13
Master Chef

No problem, my friend.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:08 AM   #14
Hospitality Queen

if you didn't already cook it, here's a few tips on your tip:

never pot-roast it!!!

Grilling is always the best option. It is a tremendously fantastic piece of meat.
If you can't grill, broil it on a piece of foil, with some garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper. 7 min on each side.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:18 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I remember reading about Tri Tip served in Santa Maria, California by street vendors(?). While I've never tried that version, here are some variations for the next time:

http://new.cbbqa.com/faq/10-2-7.html
Old 08-26-2006, 03:46 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath

never pot-roast it!!!

Grilling is always the best option. It is a tremendously fantastic piece of meat.
If you can't grill, broil it on a piece of foil, with some garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper. 7 min on each side.
i dont have a grill and i love pot roasts.

plus, wouldnt the high temps of broiling eliminate the chances of me being able to cut slivers in the meat and insert garlic cloves?

i want to do it low and slow.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:25 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath

never pot-roast it!!!

I am reading this thread with great interest. I came home yesterday with half a minature cow. I have no experience with beef and am terrified. I made a possibly bizarre decision with how to have this meat cut up; It is all in roast, stew meat and ground.....no steaks, because I do not know how to cook steaks. Got some incredible looking roasts though, if I get brave, I can always cut a roast into steaks .

When you say to grill the Tri Tip, I am shaking in my boots, have a weber gas grill but almost no experience with meat on the dern thing. My tip roast is 3.33 lbs. Gonna have to eaze into this.....copped out first thing.....as I type, have two chuck roasts in the crock pot for pot roast........am reading my head off right now..........gosh I do not like Christopher Kimball, does he make sense to anyone?? just otta throw away the Cook's Bible, I am never satisfied after referring to it........
Old 08-26-2006, 10:45 AM   #18
Master Chef

Here's a recipe from my dear friend Sophia, who is an excellent cook.

Barbecued Tri-Tip With Caramelized Red Onions

Slicing this sturdy cut of beef very thinly after grilling makes it more tender. What to drink: Spicy, jammy Zinfandel from California pairs beautifully with barbecue as does pale ale.

Caramelized Red Onions

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
21/2 pounds red onions (about 4 medium), halved, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 1 1/2- to 1 3/4-pound beef loin tri-tip roasts, trimmed of all but 1/4 inch of fat
2 tablespoons olive oil

Red Wine Barbecue Sauce

This sauce is basted on the meat as it grills. It would also be great served alongside; the recipe doubles easily.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper powder*
1/3 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke**

Heat olive oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, cumin, and chipotle chile powder; stir 1 minute. Add wine and simmer 2 minutes. Stir in ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, and liquid smoke; simmer 2 minutes longer. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) *Available in the spice section of most supermarkets.

**A smoke-flavored liquid seasoning available at specialty foods stores and many supermarkets.

Makes about 1 cup.

For Caramelized Red Onions:

Melt butter with olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until deep golden brown, stirring frequently, about 30 minutes. Stir in vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove from heat. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before serving.) Stir in chives.

For Tri-Tip:

Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Mix garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in small bowl. Brush both sides of tri-tips with oil and sprinkle with garlic-powder mixture, pressing to adhere. Grill tri-tips 5 minutes per side. Reduce heat to medium-low, or if using charcoal grill, move meat to cooler side of grill. Cover and grill until thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat registers 125F to 130F for medium-rare, brushing with barbecue sauce and turning every 10 minutes, about 30 minutes longer.

Transfer tri-tips to work surface; let stand 10 minutes. Cut meat crosswise into very thin slices; arrange on platter. Surround with caramelized onions and serve.

Makes 8 servings.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:47 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
When you say to grill the Tri Tip, I am shaking in my boots, have a weber gas grill but almost no experience with meat on the dern thing.
Beth, I don't have an outdoor grill, so when I find a recipe I like, I use another cooking method. Re the weber - there are some excellent recipes and tips here:

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/recipe/menu.aspx

And the Santa Maria tri-tip recipe here:

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/recipe/...x?c=beef&r=195
Old 08-26-2006, 11:50 AM   #20
Hospitality Queen

Beth, because the tri tip is such a thick steak, you can butterfly it before grilling, making it easier the first time.
Mish, I think you read about the Santa Maria tri tip from me a couple of years ago. It's awesome!

Another option is to google "Santa Maria tri tip recipe" - you'll get a lot of ideas.

Tags
None