Trying Another Roast- Tri Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Hey guys. Got myself another pot roast. Last one i cooked as you might remember was a 3lb chuck roast. I used 12 oz BBQ sauce and 12 OZ beer. the gravy was overpowering, but the meat was extremely tender.

I was thinking this time using 12 oz beer and only 4oz BBQ sauce?

This time, i got a new roast. I got a 2.6 lb Tri Tip Sirloin roast.

Couple questions as it's a different cut of meat which i assume is alot leaner and this was a more expensive cut, dont want to screw it up.

There is one side of the meat that is layered with fat. Should i cook this layer up, or down?

What is the lowest temperature i should cook it at? I want to cook it as low as possible. 275 maybe?

Around how long will this 2.6lb Tri Tip take? I think i cooked the 3lb Chuck for 4 hours.

Cheers

A tri tip is a better cut of meat than a chuck roast and is generally oven roasted or grilled.

You can braise it if you want, but you might enjoy it more cooked dry. A lot of people marinate it, as it's really lean.

Fat side up. Bring the liquid to a simmer and then into a 275 oven. I'm thinking it'll be done in 2-21/2 hours?

Go for it, then.

I'm guessing you won't like it as much as a chuck roast in pot roast. Just dont make your Kobe beef into pot roast, though, ok?:-p

jennyema said:
Go for it, then.

I'm guessing you won't like it as much as a chuck roast in pot roast. Just dont make your Kobe beef into pot roast, though, ok?:-p

i like the lean idea. i hate having to cut around fat pieces to get to my meat.

i think i will LOVE the tri tip. i also have experience with pot roast so my gravy will be superb, plus im gonna LOAD it with garlic pockets.

it's gonna be absurd.

Tri-tip is too lean for pot roast, IMO, and it probably will turn out very dry. It's usually grilled and sliced thin, like steak, simply seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic (Google Santa Maria BBQ -- the stuff of Sideways).

As for cooking pot roast, simple is better, as I've said many times before, and as shown by your experiment with the BBQ sauce that hid the flavor of the meat. Don't fall for the "if a little is good, a lot is better" fallacy that grips most newbie cooks.

Fryboy, i am cutting the BBQ sauce tremendously as to bring out more flavor of the meat. As i said, i am using 4oz instead of 12oz.

I'm guessing it'll be dry, too, since it'll be cooked till more than well done.

Braising is a cooking technique meant for cheaper cuts of meat that have lots of connective tissue that would not be that appetizing if oven roasted or grilled.

We'll see. I'm more concerned about solid pieces of pure lean meat with no annoying bits of fat to have to cut around.

Hey guys you obviously know what you're talking about and i regard your opinions.

So tell me what you think i should do with this 2.6lb tri tip sirloin, in detail.

Im guessing roast it at around 400 in a 13x9 inch glass casserole dish?

Can i still use garlic pockets? ie cutting into meat and jamming half cloves in there?

Also, what would you reccomend as a dry rub? Maybe some thyme, salt, pepper, what else?

could i still use my onions and carrots?

Outline a plan for me and i'll take it into consideration.

can i marinate it in my Budweiser Beer and my Bone Suckin Sauce, then just pat it dry?

What temp and for how long for a 2.6lb tri tip sirloin?

Cheers

I'd cook it at a higher temp, maybe 425 or 450, but that's just me. It's a roast that will get really dry if you overcook it, so medium rare or medium is as far as I'd go with it. Higher heat will brown the exterior in a shorter amount of time. It probably only needs to cook for 30-40 minutes or so (maybe longer) but use that meat thermometer.

A glass baking dish is fine -- you can roast the carrots and spuds in it along with the meat. Make sure you stir them so they don't burn or stick. Coat them lightly in evoo and salt them before cooking.

I wouldn't cut open the meat but you could slip them under the fat layer.

Go ahead and marinate it if you want. You then may not need a rub, but if you do use one, make one that compliments the BBQ sauce flavor. I would suggest thyme, but maybe salt/pepper/garlic powder/onion powder/cumin/chili powder or something along those lines.

For pot roast next time, try a bottom round roast. It's leaner than chuck. Chuck generally tastes better but that's because it's fattier. Fat = flavor, unfortunatley. It's a trade off.

Good Luck.

if you didn't already cook it, here's a few tips on your tip:

never pot-roast it!!!

Grilling is always the best option. It is a tremendously fantastic piece of meat.
If you can't grill, broil it on a piece of foil, with some garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper. 7 min on each side.

jkath said:

never pot-roast it!!!

Grilling is always the best option. It is a tremendously fantastic piece of meat.
If you can't grill, broil it on a piece of foil, with some garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper. 7 min on each side.
i dont have a grill and i love pot roasts.

plus, wouldnt the high temps of broiling eliminate the chances of me being able to cut slivers in the meat and insert garlic cloves?

i want to do it low and slow.

jkath said:

never pot-roast it!!!

I am reading this thread with great interest. I came home yesterday with half a minature cow. I have no experience with beef:( and am terrified. I made a possibly bizarre decision with how to have this meat cut up; It is all in roast, stew meat and ground.....no steaks, because I do not know how to cook steaks. Got some incredible looking roasts though, if I get brave, I can always cut a roast into steaks:wacko: .

When you say to grill the Tri Tip, I am shaking in my boots, have a weber gas grill but almost no experience with meat on the dern thing. My tip roast is 3.33 lbs. Gonna have to eaze into this.....copped out first thing.....as I type, have two chuck roasts in the crock pot for pot roast........am reading my head off right now..........gosh I do not like Christopher Kimball, does he make sense to anyone?? just otta throw away the Cook's Bible, I am never satisfied after referring to it........

Here's a recipe from my dear friend Sophia, who is an excellent cook.

Barbecued Tri-Tip With Caramelized Red Onions

Slicing this sturdy cut of beef very thinly after grilling makes it more tender. What to drink: Spicy, jammy Zinfandel from California pairs beautifully with barbecue — as does pale ale.

Caramelized Red Onions

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
21/2 pounds red onions (about 4 medium), halved, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 1 1/2- to 1 3/4-pound beef loin tri-tip roasts, trimmed of all but 1/4 inch of fat
2 tablespoons olive oil

Red Wine Barbecue Sauce

This sauce is basted on the meat as it grills. It would also be great served alongside; the recipe doubles easily.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper powder*
1/3 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke**

Heat olive oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, cumin, and chipotle chile powder; stir 1 minute. Add wine and simmer 2 minutes. Stir in ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, and liquid smoke; simmer 2 minutes longer. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) *Available in the spice section of most supermarkets.

**A smoke-flavored liquid seasoning available at specialty foods stores and many supermarkets.

Makes about 1 cup.

For Caramelized Red Onions:

Melt butter with olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until deep golden brown, stirring frequently, about 30 minutes. Stir in vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove from heat. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before serving.) Stir in chives.

For Tri-Tip:

Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Mix garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in small bowl. Brush both sides of tri-tips with oil and sprinkle with garlic-powder mixture, pressing to adhere. Grill tri-tips 5 minutes per side. Reduce heat to medium-low, or if using charcoal grill, move meat to cooler side of grill. Cover and grill until thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat registers 125°F to 130°F for medium-rare, brushing with barbecue sauce and turning every 10 minutes, about 30 minutes longer.

Transfer tri-tips to work surface; let stand 10 minutes. Cut meat crosswise into very thin slices; arrange on platter. Surround with caramelized onions and serve.

Makes 8 servings.

Last edited:
Beth, because the tri tip is such a thick steak, you can butterfly it before grilling, making it easier the first time.
Mish, I think you read about the Santa Maria tri tip from me a couple of years ago. It's awesome!

Another option is to google "Santa Maria tri tip recipe" - you'll get a lot of ideas.

Back
Top Bottom