"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Whether it is corned beef or a Sunday roast beef, we always knew the next day's supper was going to be hash. Any and all leftover veggies went into the hash. And Harvard beets on the side. Always onions in the hash. For some strange reason, onions do not make me create tears. So guess what job I always had.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #12
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
That hash at Andersen's is a pork roast hash, so tatsy! *note to self next time we have a pork roast!

Old 08-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
Master Chef

Here's a story about canned corned beef hash. The first time my oldest little boy stayed the night with his "other" grandparents he came home and said he never wanted to stay there again because they tried to feed him dog food.

Well it looks and smells just like it, right?

The best reason to cook a corned beef dinner is for the hash the next day.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
[QUOTE=Kayelle;1380598]Here's a story about canned corned beef hash. The first time my oldest little boy stayed the night with his "other" grandparents he came home and said he never wanted to stay there again because they tried to feed him dog food.
QUOTE]

oh my gosh :tears:
Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My grandparents fed me dog food too, K!
Old 08-15-2014, 01:00 AM   #16
Head Chef

Corned beef hash with poached egg on top is an evening meal comfort food of mine...meaning it's when I don't wanna cook nothin! I bet your hash tastes light years beyond canned. I can visualize cubing the potatoes, I'm not as visual about cutting up the corned beef. You don't cook that yourself, of course. The corned beef outta the can looks sorta mushy.

When you think about it (corned beef hash), you're frying up an already edible product. I try and get the moisture out, make it less Alpo like.

I used to buy the small corned beef cans. With a packet of catsup along with one of those small cans of corned beef...it tasted ...not bad! (right outta the can). Closest looking thing to Alpo dog food there is.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:31 AM   #17
Master Chef

You're a real keeper Calson.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Corned beef hash with poached egg on top is an evening meal comfort food of mine...meaning it's when I don't wanna cook nothin! I bet your hash tastes light years beyond canned. I can visualize cubing the potatoes, I'm not as visual about cutting up the corned beef. You don't cook that yourself, of course. The corned beef outta the can looks sorta mushy.

When you think about it (corned beef hash), you're frying up an already edible product. I try and get the moisture out, make it less Alpo like.

I used to buy the small corned beef cans. With a packet of catsup along with one of those small cans of corned beef...it tasted ...not bad! (right outta the can). Closest looking thing to Alpo dog food there is.
I used a left-over chunk of a corned brisket in my hash, so yes, I really did have to cube it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

My mother had one of the meat grinders that clamped onto the edge of the table. She always ground up the meat into large chunks. And if there were a lot of potatoes left over, she would put a few of them into the grounder also. Then sometimes she would make Flannel Hash. That has always been my favorite.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
The best Hash I've ever eaten was in Santa Barbara at a Danish bakery/restaurant of all places, Andersen's

Attachment 21678

They served theirs with pickled beets and I chose scrambled, only because I find that the partially cooked yolks now bother my stomach.
I grabbed a couple pieces of bacon and DH hollandaise on the side, oh and a mimosa to wash it all down with, afterall it was Sunday Brunch on the patio.
That does look like Danish hash (biksemad). I posted a recipe for it a while back: Biksemad - Danish hash. Pickled beets are a fairly standard Danish accompaniment to biksemad. I mentioned the pickle beets in my recipe.

Tags
beef, corn, corned beef, eggs, potatoes, recipe

Ultimate Corned Beef Hash I was hungry for corned beef hash and so I made some this morning. This is not a new recipe, just a really good way to enjoy the hash.:chef: So, next time your'e making spuds for supper, peel, then dice them into 1/2 inch cubes. Steam them, or boil them, however you want to cook them. But make twice the amount that you need. Use half of them for supper and save the other half in the fridge for the hash. Bring a small pan of water to a boil. There should be enough water in the pan to cover an egg. Add 2 tsp. of salt and stir until the salt is dissolved. Turn the heat down to keep the water hot, but still (no bubbles rising). Ok, now it's morning. Cube 1/2 pound of corned beef. Pour enough cooking oil in the bottom of your best frying pan (because you don't want any of this to stick) to cover it and pool just a bit. When it's hot, add the spud cubes. Lightly salt and fry until lightly browned. Turn them and brown the other sides. When they ready, add the corned beef and fold together. After adding the corned beef to the frying pan, gently crack two raw eggs into a bowl, taking care not to break the yolks. Now gently transfer the eggs to the pan of hot water. Cook until the whites are completely set. Plate the hash. Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and place on top of the hash. Enjoy. There are only two ways to make this hash better that I know of. First and best way - share with someone you love. 2nd way - serve along side my world famous pancakes, or yeast-raised belgian waffles. Enjoy. Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews