"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #21
Master Chef

I love those spring loaded scoops - I have a couple of them, too.

After reading through this thread, I might have to get a burger press. I like to patty up some ground beef and freeze them between wax paper. It would be nice to have them all pretty much the same size. LOL

Old 11-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I love those spring loaded scoops - I have a couple of them, too.

After reading through this thread, I might have to get a burger press. I like to patty up some ground beef and freeze them between wax paper. It would be nice to have them all pretty much the same size. LOL
I have three dashers, each in a different size. I use them all for cookies. My biggest one makes huge cookies. I use the smallest one for peanut butter. Now if only they made a criss cross for them. I could do a whole sheet of the PB in no time. What is time consuming is making the marks on them with a fork. I used to use a regular table for that, but switched to my cooking fork. The times are longer and I have to make one mark each way just once.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have three dashers, each in a different size. I use them all for cookies. My biggest one makes huge cookies. I use the smallest one for peanut butter. Now if only they made a criss cross for them. I could do a whole sheet of the PB in no time. What is time consuming is making the marks on them with a fork. I used to use a regular table for that, but switched to my cooking fork. The times are longer and I have to make one mark each way just once.
I use my old-fashioned meat pounder for making the hash marks on my peanut butter cookies. I just use the side with the largest points. Works great. I spray nonstick cooking spray on it and give each bit of cookie dough a nice centered whack.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:44 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I use my old-fashioned meat pounder for making the hatch marks on my peanut butter cookies. I just use the side with the largest points. Works great. I spray nonstick cooking spray on it and give each bit of cookie dough a nice centered whack.
What a good idea, Katie. I'll be trying that next time I make peanut butter cookies. Which will probably be soon, since I want some now.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #25
Master Chef

A lot of burger joints nowadays are starting their burgers as a ball. The let them sit on the flat grill for a few minutes to get a nice caramelized crust going, which is where much of the flavor comes from, then, flip and flatten out with a stiff spatula. The fat and juices aren't liquefied yet in the still raw burger so squishing them at this point doesn't render much of it's moisture and flavor...

I use a metal press I got many years ago. Looks like it was from the Boer War....
Old 11-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I'd like to get my hands on a Smash Burger press.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I'd like to get my hands on a Smash Burger press.
Restaurant supply store. I'd start there. I could look for you. Shipping would probably cost more than the press
Old 11-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Restaurant supply store. I'd start there. I could look for you. Shipping would probably cost more than the press
You can get those round, heavy, cast iron grill presses with nice wooden handles from Amazon pretty cheap. But the Smash Burger press has a lip which keeps the patties pressed to a certain thickness while grilling.

Williams Sonoma sells the Smash N Sear burger tool which is very similar to what SmashBurger use
Old 11-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When we have burgers, I make a ⅓ Lb. burger for SO. She likes hers thinner. I make a half pound burger for myself. A patty press wouldn't work for me.
Same here, almost word for word. I used a press too many years ago to really remember. I must not have been all that impressed because I've never since thought that it was something I'd need or use.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I can really see the practical use of patty forming presses if you're at a cookout and have to form several dozen patties.

Tags
ham, hamburger, other