Use a patty press for hamburgers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love those spring loaded scoops - I have a couple of them, too.

After reading through this thread, I might have to get a burger press. :) I like to patty up some ground beef and freeze them between wax paper. It would be nice to have them all pretty much the same size. LOL

I love those spring loaded scoops - I have a couple of them, too.

After reading through this thread, I might have to get a burger press. :) I like to patty up some ground beef and freeze them between wax paper. It would be nice to have them all pretty much the same size. LOL

I have three dashers, each in a different size. I use them all for cookies. My biggest one makes huge cookies. I use the smallest one for peanut butter. Now if only they made a criss cross for them. I could do a whole sheet of the PB in no time. What is time consuming is making the marks on them with a fork. I used to use a regular table for that, but switched to my cooking fork. The times are longer and I have to make one mark each way just once.

I have three dashers, each in a different size. I use them all for cookies. My biggest one makes huge cookies. I use the smallest one for peanut butter. Now if only they made a criss cross for them. I could do a whole sheet of the PB in no time. What is time consuming is making the marks on them with a fork. I used to use a regular table for that, but switched to my cooking fork. The times are longer and I have to make one mark each way just once.

I use my old-fashioned meat pounder for making the hash marks on my peanut butter cookies. I just use the side with the largest points. Works great. I spray nonstick cooking spray on it and give each bit of cookie dough a nice centered whack.

Last edited:
I use my old-fashioned meat pounder for making the hatch marks on my peanut butter cookies. I just use the side with the largest points. Works great. I spray nonstick cooking spray on it and give each bit of cookie dough a nice centered whack.

What a good idea, Katie. I'll be trying that next time I make peanut butter cookies. Which will probably be soon, since I want some now. :LOL:

A lot of burger joints nowadays are starting their burgers as a ball. The let them sit on the flat grill for a few minutes to get a nice caramelized crust going, which is where much of the flavor comes from, then, flip and flatten out with a stiff spatula. The fat and juices aren't liquefied yet in the still raw burger so squishing them at this point doesn't render much of it's moisture and flavor...

I use a metal press I got many years ago. Looks like it was from the Boer War....

Last edited:
Restaurant supply store. I'd start there. I could look for you. Shipping would probably cost more than the press:LOL:
You can get those round, heavy, cast iron grill presses with nice wooden handles from Amazon pretty cheap. But the Smash Burger press has a lip which keeps the patties pressed to a certain thickness while grilling.

Williams Sonoma sells the Smash N Sear burger tool which is very similar to what SmashBurger use

Last edited:
When we have burgers, I make a ⅓ Lb. burger for SO. She likes hers thinner. I make a half pound burger for myself. A patty press wouldn't work for me.

Same here, almost word for word. I used a press too many years ago to really remember. I must not have been all that impressed because I've never since thought that it was something I'd need or use.

I use my old-fashioned meat pounder for making the hash marks on my peanut butter cookies. I just use the side with the largest points. Works great. I spray nonstick cooking spray on it and give each bit of cookie dough a nice centered whack.

Yea! A solution to my cookie problem and it won't cost me a cent since I already have my meat smasher. Thanks Katie.

Or, if you want to do up a large batch for freezing...

Yep, you can press out patties and freeze them. Then you wouldn't need to thaw them out to make burgers -- just throw how many patties you want on the grill/skillet.

If you just slap the hamburger into the freezer, then you have to thaw it all out in order to form into a patty. Of course, you can still hand form patties individually and freeze 'em, but having all the patties uniform makes it easier to cook 'em.

Last edited:
Or, if you want to do up a large batch for freezing...
'zactly what we did when I was a kid. My Mom had a wooden burger press, all cute with a Dutch motif on the front. My job was to cut waxed paper sheets a little larger than the press, ball up the meat, and press it down between two sheets. Put those off to the side, repeat, stack...until all the meat Mom mixed up was gone. Then came the day when she bought The Tupperware Hamburger Press!

41MRsc10vsL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

No more waxed paper, just the stackable burger container, a containment ring, and a handled plunger. Suddenly, making burgers went all modern! Modern a la the 1960s!

LOL Cooking Goddess - don't think mine came from Tupper Ware, but was very similar. Plastic cylinder with plastic discs to separate. The bottom screwed off to remove the stack when you were finished. The 'press' was more of a plunger.

Trouble was - if you didn't 'press' evenly your burger discs were uneven. :(

Min is metal and wooden handle and I got it off 75% due to the store celebrating something, so it cost me 5 buck.

I use it to make burgers and freeze.

Rocklobster, that's the one I had! Only mine was red, but can't imagine getting it from K-Tel... but you never know. It was so long ago, late 60's or early 70's.

Back
Top Bottom