"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Use a patty press for hamburgers?

I've wanted a patty press for a while and finally bought one last week for a buck on sale at a local store -- just one of the plastic ones.

I used it for the first time tonight on some burgers, and they came out great. They cooked very uniformly and stayed together. I put some EVOO, Old Bay Seasoning, salt/pepper, garlic inside the beef, mixed it up by hand, and pressed them down hard into the press. I cooked them in the cast iron skillet.

They definitely came out better than my normal burgers.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

One of those are on my list. I put a pat of butter in the middle of mine. But I have to make sure the sides are closed really good. I want the melted butter to stay inside. I also add seasoning that has been mixed into the meat.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I have one, and like it. It helps to wet both the top and bottom before making the patties for easier release.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I use my tortilla press for that, and a plastic bag with the sides cut to help it release more easily.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:33 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I use my tortilla press for that, and a plastic bag with the sides cut to help it release more easily.
That would work too, but you wouldn't get the nice even edge with the burger press.

I also like to use it for chubs of Jimmy Dean Sausage. Just slice it into four slices for perfect no fuss sausage patties with breakfast.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:41 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Does anyone know if they make them for a double burger? Instead of enough meat for one, we like them nice and thick. So I always double the amount of meat.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:49 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never seen them for a thicker patty. Why wouldn't you just make two, and pinch them together??

Old 11-03-2016, 01:52 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That would work too, but you wouldn't get the nice even edge with the burger press.
Yeah, I take a few seconds to press a bit to make it more even, but then I don't have another gadget to store.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #9
Head Chef

I had a press many many moons ago. don't really know what happened to it over the years. If I remember correctly there were several reasons it fell out of favour.

I never seemed to get the individual quantities even - now of course, I would use an ice cream scoop or actually measure them with an individual cup.

Seemed time consuming when you were making them for a meal right then - much faster to make patties and throw on to cook iinstead of measure, pack, press, unmold.

Was really only handy if you were making stacks for the freezer - which in the day was a rarity for me.

I might reconsider now.. but as mentioned - another piece of equipment to store for something that would rarely be used. If I had a household full, probably.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #10
Head Chef

I use a large mouth canning jar lid. I got to the point that I needed another gadget drawer and said no more gadgets. I use them also for frying eggs. just oil them up good and works like a charm.

Tags
ham, hamburger, other