Use for gristle, fat, tendons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Traveler

Cook
When I want to make beef stew, or braise for other purposes, I buy beef chuck roast at my market. After I break it down and carefully remove all tendons (silver), grissle and fat. I lose aprox 18% of the meat. With todays prices, I was wondering what, if anything, that "wastage" could be used for. Would it be worth my time to make a beef stock with it, or would I end up mostly with fat ?

Thanks you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beef fat is often used in sausage, especially venison sausage. I make sausage with pork and pork fat, never tried making sausage with beef and beef fat.

You can use it for stock, as you said, strain it, discard after. Use can use fat (I get suet) to roast oven-browned potatoes. It adds great flavor.
Or you can freeze the fat after it's been rolled-coated in bird seed, then hang outside for critters. But only in winter cold temps. Otherwise the suet will turn rancid and bad.

I don't think those items would make a good stock, IMO, you need bones for that. Suet is used in some pasties and Yorkshire pudding. I use Manteca (lard) for some Mexican dishes. Carnitas and tamale dough is no where near as good if oil or shortening is used.

Beef tendon is good..takes a lot of cooking, but it can be a real beefy treat..It makes great broth also...there are many Asian recipes for it..I always order it when I get Pho..

Probably made good bow strings back in the day.:mrgreen:

Beef tendon is good..takes a lot of cooking, but it can be a real beefy treat..It makes great broth also...there are many Asian recipes for it..I always order it when I get Pho..

+1.
There are some great Korean soup dishes that include beef tendon.

I got a big bag from a butcher friend of mine once and tried a few recipes. I did one in the pressure cooker that worked out great. They can get real sticky and mushy..one was simmered in soy, garlic and ginger..it was so rich I could only eat a few pieces..

Back
Top Bottom