What Beef To Use For Swiss Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elf

Senior Cook
I am using Natalie Dupree's recipe for Swiss Steak, which calls for either Top Round or Chuck. I found some Bottom Round, thinly sliced, on sale. How much will I have to modify the cooking time?
The recipe calls for pounding the steak out to 1/4 inch thickness then dusting with flour, paprika, dry mustard and pepper, then browning the meat. Rerun the meat to a dutch over, cover with sliced onion and garlic, then pour on a mixture of 3/4 cup sour cream, 3/4 cup water, 3 Tbs brown sugar, 3/4 Tbs soy sauce, cover and cook 45-60 minutes at an oven temp of 300 degrees. Should I lengthen the time to 1 1/2-2 hours? Will the longer time cause the sour cream to break down?

Everything should be the same. The cooking time is more related to the thickness (or thinness) of the meat. Just follow the recipe.

I recently made some with some REALLY thin sliced round steak. Like less than 1/4 inch. Didn't bother to tenderize it in any way, since it was so thin.
Browned it really quickly, then went ahead and cooked it in the oven for 1 hour in gravy.
It was delicious.
So I'd agree with Andy.... same cook time, same procedures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom