What can I do with Round Steak, Peppers, Mushrooms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelemarie

Executive Chef
I would love your ideas for a good dinner tonight - I have

2 lbs. of round steak
8 oz. of baby bella mushrooms
green peppers

I also have staples like onions, diced or whole canned tomatoes, beef stock, garlic, sherry, brandy, red wine, etc. I am looking for something simple but good - and I know I will find it here. Any ideas?

Thanks for the fajita idea Alix, but I don't have any tortillas:( . Swiss steak sounds good. My mom used to make it by browning the meat, adding peppers and onions and a little beef broth, I wanted to bring it up a notch though - maybe with the shrooms and tomatoes - and what kind of sauce? Any ideas?

Hmmmm...maybe cube the meat and brown it with some onions. Then use some beef broth and red wine to deglaze...add the 'shrooms and peppers. Maybe a tbsp of tomato paste in there somewhere? Can of consomme? Some pepper flakes? I'd serve it over rice. Sounds pretty tasty to me.

Alix, sounds like dinner to me. Now a few questions - After browning the meat, how much liquid do I add to deglaze? After that, how long do I let it cooK? Doesn't round steak need a couple of hours? I don't have tomato paste but do have consomme and red pepper flakes. How thick should the sauce be? Over rice, you betcha!

To deglaze you don't need much, but if you are going to cook the meat in the sauce you should have a couple cups or so. The consomme will do the trick I think. The tomato paste would have helped to thicken the sauce a bit so maybe just before you serve it you could thicken it a bit with cornstarch? I would. (about 1 tbsp in 1/2 cup of water then add to the sauce) The tomato paste would also help to tenderize the meat a bit. Do you have any tomato anything? Leftover spaghetti sauce?

I made a beef braciolle yesterday using round steak and cooked it in tomatoe sauce for three hours, but I think two hours minimum would be good. To deglaze it should only take 1 cup or so, but to cook the round steak til it falls apart will take more liquid and keep a lid on it, and simmer on medium low.

Woops, posted around the same time as Alix, but I see we agree on the deglaze and more liquid to cook the beef.

Alix, I DO have tomato paste! Yippee!

So brown the meat (should I coat in flour first?)
Deglaze with a couple cups liquid - ya think 1 cup red wine and 1 cup consomme?
Add shrooms and peppers
Cover? cook for how long? when do I add paste?

Wish you could come over and we could do this together - it would be fun! Thanks so much for your help!

Amber - hi! Thanks for the input! You cooked your braciolle for three hours - but you think two would be okay. I think I will have about 2 hours-I'm hungry - want to eat early!

So brown the meat (should I coat in flour first?) I don't.
Deglaze with a couple cups liquid - ya think 1 cup red wine and 1 cup consomme? Sounds perfect
Add shrooms and peppers
Cover? Yes cook for how long? Um...couple of hours? When is supper?
when do I add paste? After you deglaze, when you put the other liquid in.

Did I answer all your questions? I think your supper sounds delicious Michelemarie. Can I come over? LOL. We're going to be eating on the run tonight. Both girls have dance rehearsal for their competition then we have to race back across the city to youngest daughters ball practice. WHEW!

Alix, thank you so much for your advice -I'm going to cook right now!!!! Girlfriend, it would be great to have you for dinner!! Swing by around 5:30 pm - then off to dance you go! It's a busy night for you, I'll do the dishes!

You know...one of these days you are going to hear a knock on your door and I'll be standing there with a bottle of wine and an overnight bag! LOL

If you have cheese you could do sandwiches. I love sauteed mushrooms and peppers with any kind of beef on toasted bread with melted cheese. Not fancy at all, but I'm a sucker for the quick 'n easy sometimes.

collegecook, thanks for the idea. I will have to try that next time. I had already made the roundsteak the way Alix described. It was scrumptious - try it!

Michelemarie said:
Thanks for the fajita idea Alix, but I don't have any tortillas:(

Ugh.. I am always late!! Here's what we do for a homemade tortilla. It is easy, versatile and delicious!!

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. Salt
1/3 cup lard, preferably, but olive oil can be used, too.
(approx.) 1 cup warm water but not boiling

Combine the flour, salt, and lard (or oil) in a large bowl and mix together until crumbly, as for pie dough. Add water (gradually, testing the texture as you go) and mix until you can gather the dough into a ball. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion to make a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into a circle, about 20cm or 8inches.
Toast the flour tortillas, heat a heavy skillet or griddle over high heat. Place a tortilla and cook on both side until slightly puffed and speckled brown, but still soft enough to fold (whole procedure should take about a minute). Remove and continue until all the flour tortillas are cooked, stacking them as you go. Serve right away or cool, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

another late entry.

pound out the steaks so they are pretty thin, like when making brasciole like amber suggested.

crush a coupla cloves of garlic, toast quickly in a little evoo, blend into butter with some chopped parsley. spread the butter on one side of the flattened steak. place a few spears of asparagus on the butter, roll and tie. sear in a skillet or on a grill , finish in the oven or in a closed grill on low.

reduce some wine, add and add some of the garlic butter to make a sauce to go with it.

edited:eek:ops, i just realized you have peppers and shrooms. well, slice them long and thin and use them in place of the asparagus.

Last edited:
Urmaniac, thank you so much for that recipe. DH will love it.

Buckytom, that sounds wonderful. I may have to go buy more roundsteak while it is still on sale and do it again! Reduce the wine - uh, how long? Also, how long to finish it in the oven?

Back
Top Bottom