What do I do with brisket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
Hubby bought a large long flat beef brisket at BJ's. We cut it into some steak size pieces and some loin size pieces. He did cut some of the fat off.

what do I do with brisket?

I've never cut one up. I normally smoke or grill mine whole. I marinate mine in Claudes and then wrap in foil and put on the grill on low for about 5 hours or on the smoker about 8.

There are two ways I have cooked it before and seen it cooked. I am sure there are plenty of other great ways to cook it, but I will share the two I know and love. One is smoking, which is out of the question because you have already cut it into smaller pieces. I am not an expert at smoking, but I not think it would work as well with smaller pieces. The way I reccomend you do it is braise it like you would a pot roast. Just cook it in some stock, mirepoix, tomatoes, some red wine, a sachet, and let it braise. As for the stock, I would use veal stock if you have it, but chicken stock would do. When the meat is all tender and done, take out the meat. Strain the liquid and reduce the braising liquid and you have a sauce to go along with it. Serve it with a nice salad, and some oven baked potatoes you got your self a delicious meal.

For the potatoes just cut pieces into about large dice. Coat the potatoes with oil, salt, pepper, and any other spices you want. Then when there is about 5 minutes left in the cooking sprinkle them with chopped fresh thyme and rosemerry.

For the salad, I think almost any light salad would do. Even something like a cesear salad would be good. There are so many great salads, and I am sure you have a favorite, so just pick any you like.

I hope this helped.

MARINATED BARBECUE BEEF BRISKET
Yield: 6 servings
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
2 tablespoons each: minced onion, cider vinegar
1 tablespoon mustard
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
Coarsely cracked black pepper
1 beef brisket, about 3 1/2 pounds
2 large onions, sliced
5 carrots, peeled, cut in 1-inch chunks
5 medium red potatoes, unpeeled
Salt
2 small bags radishes, ends trimmed
Combine ketchup, water, onion, vinegar, horseradish, mustard and
pepper. Place brisket in a shallow glass baking dish. Pour marinade
over; cover and refrigerate overnight.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Scatter onions on top of meat.
Pour Marinade over onions. Cover and
bake 2 1/2 hours. Add carrots, radishes and potatoes; cover and continue
baking until meat and vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Add salt
and pepper to taste. Cut meat into thin slices. Use the pan juices
as sauce.

img_806941_0_c91ef0fc0e68549023ef969d80fbec58.jpg

Lucky Trim..
Have I told you yet that looks soooo good? I'm definitely going to order more Brisket,just so I can try your recipe :)

That 10lb brisket I made lasted forever it seemed.It was better then I had expected.
We ended up using 3 pounds just for bbq beef sammiches, 3 pounds for Aujus and french dips.
3 pounds went for Taquitos.Burrito's, Tamales, Enchilada's,made a nice red chili sauce from scratch. Mixed it with the brisket simmered it together for a while.Wasn't bad if I do say so myself.

The last pound I tossed into a pot of home made chili.I've never had chili that good.

My dogs even had their piece of the pie.All the scraps,fat,juices,went to making them dog treats.I've been their best buddy for weeks now.

Nothing went to waste.

Munky.

THX;

I just came home with a 10-pounder, split, and I had every intention of posting the "before" pics, but the battery (rechargable) was dead in my camera, so you'll have to wait an hour or so..................

2.75 a pound at the Amish Butcher !!!
My first half will got to the recipe I'm fond of posting....
the second (slightly larger) half wil get pulled for sandwiches, and frozen in 2-cup portions.

THX;

I just came home with a 10-pounder, split, and I had every intention of posting the "before" pics, but the battery (rechargable) was dead in my camera, so you'll have to wait an hour or so..................

2.75 a pound at the Amish Butcher !!!
My first half will got to the recipe I'm fond of posting....
the second (slightly larger) half wil get pulled for sandwiches, and frozen in 2-cup portions.

No worries,my son has been promising to teach me how to post pics here.It's just catching him to do it..

I love sammiches (Does it show?) what kind are you making?

Munky.

I follow my Pulled Pork recipe, just utilize the brisket instead...........

PULLED PORK BARBEQUE
My Sauce

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup minced onion
1/2 cup minced green pepper
3-6 TBL Chili Sauce (Sriracha)
Pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 can (28 ounces) tomato sauce
2 cups ketchup (preferably Heinz)
1 cup water
3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup Dark Karo Syrup
1/4 cup cayenne pepper sauce
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke (optional)

Pour the oil into a large saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Toss in the onions, green peppers and give them a stir. Season with a pinch of> salt and pepper and cook until soft and golden.

Add the garlic and cook for a minute more. Dump in everything else except
the Liquid Smoke. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the sauce
simmers. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often. Swirl in the Liquid Smoke and let the sauce cool. Pour it into a container, cover, and store in the fridge till ready to use.

for the dish
start with a 6-8 lb. pork shoulder or butt. carve away most of the fat layer.
put the shoulder in a crock pot and add 1 1/4 c. water and 1/4 c. cider vinegar. (mixed)

cook on low setting for 10 hrs (overnight).
remove meat from crock pot, discarding liquid. and "pull" it off the bones. i use two table forks. works well.
when the pork is "pulled", return it to the crock pot. add two cups of the sauce you've prepared and mix well.
set the crock pot to "warm", and let stand for three or more hours. check it often for a stir or maybe a little more sauce.

serve with soft Kaiser rolls (I prepared corn meal pancakes to substitute for the rolls ! )

Whoa now....That's a serious recipe :)
Thank you.

I can't be trusted around a crock pot.Just can't leave it alone I've got to lift the lid and stir...Old habits die hard..

Munky.

"LUCKY" for me, I only have to do that once or twice a year, as the "nest" is empty !

As for the lifting part, best to plan the cooking when you won't be around to "meddle"..................

thought I might mention...... Be aware that a "slow cooker" has heating element is on the bottom ONLY, and this can lead to sticking and uneven cooking; a ceramic "crock pot" usually has elements running up the side, and, if not, the ceramic serves basiccaly the same purpose. lower temp. cooking equals longer but more even cooking.......... some will argue, I'm sure, but this is my expeience...........

Okay;;
batteries are charged, and pics are in.........
img_807103_0_3597526c0554f0e7bcead8fec5f62777.jpg

this one will go for the pulled beef............

and this one is for the corck-pot....

img_807103_1_98bdabb204d5cae9612792c8241a825f.jpg

i bought 6 full size uncut briskets @ .98 cents a lb.
rubbed them down day before
got the smoker up an running and then @ 8pm friday night briskets went on
cook for 1 hour and flip cook for another hour
these 2 hours are the most important time
smoke time
keep the temp around 200 to 225
and keep the smoke going

took alot of pictures soon to post them
then at 930 am saturday morning
they reached temp
185 to 190
let them rest for 1 hour then begin slicing