What do I serve with filet mignon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbib

Assistant Cook
Such a problem, I know. Anyway, I bought some on sale and popped it in the freezer. Now it's thawing and I have a great (and simple) way to prepare the meat but what to serve with it that is neither bland or overpowering? I'm thinking a veggie thing and some type of potato or rice dish....or? All ideas welcome.

I always prepare a bernaise sauce and I usually serve a potato of some sort and either a salad (I like a salad of mixed baby greens, mandarin oranges, blue cheese, pine nuts and balsamic dressing) or roasted asparagus.
A classic Caesar salad would be nice too with a potato gratin -
filets sound good!

Since it's an expensive cut of meat, I wouldn't drown it in a heavy sauce.

Herb roasted (red) potatoes

Grilled asparagus with shallots & lemon juice

Grilled onions & portabellos

Caesar Salad

Yorkshire pudding or blue cheese popovers

Shrimp cocktail

Cheesecake

Coffee

Wine

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone else, but I always felt that filet mignon was the type of dish that should stand on its own. I might serve a good wine with it, but as far a side dishes go I might think about putting them either before the meal in the form of a salad or grilled veggies as previously suggested, or afterwards in the form of dessert.

I like all of mish's suggestions a lot:

Maybe open with the salad or shrimp cocktail, then the filet (if served with anything i like the grilled onions/portobellas idea), and cheesecake would be a great closer!

college_cook said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I always felt that filet mignon was the type of dish that should stand on its own. I might serve a good wine with it, but as far a side dishes go I might think about putting them either before the meal in the form of a salad or grilled veggies as previously suggested, or afterwards in the form of dessert.

I like all of mish's suggestions a lot:

Maybe open with the salad or shrimp cocktail, then the filet (if served with anything i like the grilled onions/portobellas idea), and cheesecake would be a great closer!

Thanks, college.:chef:

Creamed spinach is another thought as a side... but I prefer it more with pime rib.

I like roasted new (red) potatoes with a bit of worstershire sauce, but a salad and grilled/roasted veggies would be great.

i would make a side of mushrooms, cooked down a little in butter, evoo, and garlic, then add a cup or 2 of red wine, and simmer to reduce.

also, a side of baked potato with chive sour cream.

My wife and I enjoy filets... suggest a grilled or broiled asparagus, and dilled new potatos.
Side salad of baby greens, balsamic vinagarette.
Make an herbed butter for each steak, butter, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, maybe a little worchestershire.

these are all great suggestions. pick and choose to make your perfect menu.

I like sauteed whole mushrooms...choose small ones and clean them, get your pan scortching hot and toss in some butter, toss in a handful of mushrooms, salt and pepper them, and let them jump, turn once or twice, but excise them before they shed their moisture. when all are cooked this way (two or three panfulls) reduce heat a bit, a bit more butter, saute gently a few chopped shallots and toss with the mushrooms.

this is a beautiful side with a steak.

Robo please elaborate on that for me? By scorching hot you'd mean what setting on the stovetop if i'm using a 12 inch stainless steel skillet?

How could i incorporate red wine into this?

About how long do they cook before they start shedding their moisture?

basically just can you give me a detailed description of what you just said..it sounds absolutely delicious...

for instance what kind of shrooms.......

thanks man.....

I had filet mignon once at a very classy Frech restaurant in Quebec City. It was served with a brandied mushroom sauce that was flamed at the table. My dessert was a creme puff shaped like a swan. I was only 14, and terribly impressed.
My mother and I loved fancy restaurants, and my father was happy to oblige, so we ate a lot of nice places. One place served new potatoes with their steaks that had been sauteed in butter until they were crusty brown on a couple of sides. I tried that at home, and they didn't get done, so they must have been pre-cooked a bit. I never did get around to perfecting that, but they were delicious with steak, and not too filling.
My husband used to take me to an old roadhouse that had been in business since the twenties. They made onion rings that I have since duplicated, and they are so easily done. They are sliced extremly thin...if you have a mandoline, it will make the job easier...then simply tossed in flour, and dumped by the handfull into hot grease. You don't have to deep fry them...a couple inches of oil in the skillet will do it. They fry up in no time, and all they need is a few minutes to drain and a sprinkling of salt. They are wonderful with steak.

I have never fixed filets at home...just nervous about ruining a beautiful piece of meat, I guess. But if I did, I'd serve them topped with the fried onion rings I described above, along with the butter sauteed new potatoes, and perhaps a small Ceasar salad.
I don't generally serve dessert unless we have company, but a dip of good French vanilla ice cream topped with a shot of creme de menth, Amaretto, or liqueur of your choice is always a good choice.

Bucky and Robo, your shrooms sound wonderful.

IC, will have to try your herb butters. Thank you for sharing your ideas/recipes.

Connie I love onion rings - particularly the onion ring block at Tony Roma's with their babyback ribs. Mmmmmm.

We are having filet tonight as well. It is on the grill as I type... accompanied by sweet potato, japanese egg plant, and avocado salad...

answer for MLB...sorry for delay...

I like crimini and button for these ...depending on size whole halved or quartered.

I heat the pan hot...7/10 on my range dial ... you want the pups to brown but not burn so check one after a minute, but you prolly don't have to give the pan a shake for 90 sec 2 min. you are searing them ...

I would toss in the wine at the very end, let it reduce and burn off the alcohol ...

real butter, real salt and pepper, real herbs, real wine, HOT pan, real mushrooms, real FOOD!

Emeril, Bobby, Mario, Tony, and a gazillian others put a sear on their veggies and serve.

so they cook total 2 minutes or you just give em a good shake at two minutes and continue cooking?

About how much wine would you reccomend.

I would be making these mushrooms for 2, as a side dish to a steak.

normal restaurant sized portion.

i can eyeball the rest of the ingredients.

Thanks in advance brother.

this really is a do it by the feel recipe...anywhere from 2 to 5 min total. As for the wine, you are deglazing the pan and giving flavor so 1/4 cup or so
as for serving size as a side or cover for your meat, whatever you like...8 to 10 shrooms per person, or more...they're mushrooms not chocolate so pile em on.

Back
Top Bottom