What is Corned Beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

advoca

Senior Cook
What do you mean by “corned beef”?

I have always believed that corned beef is sold in a can by Fray Bentos or Libby’s, but I think that in America you get corned beef from a deli and it is not the same as the stuff in a can. Amd I right?

Corning is curing beef with salt and seasonings. Usually the brisket cut is used to make corned beef.

It is sold uncooked for consumers to take home and cook. It is also sold in delis as a sandwich meat.

Bits and pieces are pressed into a can and sold around the world.

Corned Beef

advoca said:
What do you mean by “corned beef”?

I have always believed that corned beef is sold in a can by Fray Bentos or Libby’s, but I think that in America you get corned beef from a deli and it is not the same as the stuff in a can. Amd I right?

:chef: You can buy corned beef at your store you will find it in the meat dept.
the junk you buy in the can it is mostly lard is ok if you like lard sandwichs.

Hello Advoca... as Andy said... Corned Beef is Beef Brisket that has been "pickled" using a salt based solution with spices added. In the "fresh meat" department, corned beef normally comes vacuum packed, and with an added packet of "pickling spice" on the inside. Basically, you either braise or boil the beef brisket with the pickling spice, and the end result is "corned beef". However, we also have a delicatesseen (where you get pre cooked meets and salads), where corned beef is already cooked, sliced, and ready to serve.

I hope I added to what Andy said...

Casper.

It's not just brisket -- any meat can be corned, although most commercially available corned beef is either brisket or round. Round is drier and tougher than brisket. Both are prepared the same way, usually boiled or steamed, and commonly served with cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and other root vegetables.

There's a common belief in the U.S that corned beef and cabbage is the national dish of Ireland. T'ain't so, McGee! Apparently that idea originated because corned beef was relatively cheap and the Irish immigrants of the late 1800s and early 1900s were very poor.

dhampir said:
You can buy corned beef at your store you will find it in the meat dept.
I have a hard time predicting what's going to be available in the markets of Memphis, let alone Beijing. In case you don't find it, here is one way to make the brine for the brisket.

I completely agree with those who have said that it is nothing like the Libby's. I don't know the Fray Bentos name

Last edited:
In the UK 'corned beef' is tinned stuff, usually canned by Frey Bentos... It's only function, so far as I am concerned, is to make the Scottish dish known as Stovies.... (which I hate, but my husband and family like!)

I love corned beef, everyone has got the preperation covered. simply brined brisket. I love it boiled with cabbage and potatoes. Also makes boss sandwiches.

Back
Top Bottom