What is your favorite beef steak cut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your talking a tender cut i would say bone-in ribeye if your talking about any cute id have to go with brisket :)

I'm gonna go with the bone-in ribeye--1-1/2" and medium rare, please. After that, I'll go for the porterhouse.

Boneless small-end dry-aged prime ribeye (1.5-2" thick) cooked over charcoal to medium/medium-rare. Quickly seared on all sides over direct-coals, and then set aside to slowly finish indirectly (then rested of course).

Last edited:
BreezyCooking said:
I had a positively POETIC Kobe beef filet mignon in a local restaurant a couple of years ago. It was served on a bed of Wasabi mashed potatoes.

Filet Migon has never been one of my favorite cuts of meat, mainly because while it's always tender, I find the flavor lacking - sometimes nonexistent.
However, this Kobe filet was not only tender enough to literally be cut with a fork, but had a wonderful beef flavor as well.

I don't think I'd buy it to cook myself because of the price & because I'm afraid I'd ruin it. Beef cookery isn't one of my best. But I'd order it again in a good restaurant in a heartbeat. :)

There are places where you can order some.

http://www.allenbrothers.com/Product.jsp?productId=223&categoryId=63

Only 139.95 for two 6oz Filet Migons.

They might have gotten the Filet Migons steaks from that company.

Don't make steak often (a few times per year), but when I do, I plunk down the big bucks for prime beef, which IMHO is more important than the cut. Generally I do NY strip or ribeye, as I like both, depending on which is better marbled. I season and home-age for two days on a rack (flipping every twelve hours), then pan-broil. No sauce.

BTW, for those of you unable to get tri-tip off-the-shelf, ask your butcher for bottom sirloin, explaining that you're looking for what is called tri-tip on the Left Coast. A good butcher will have run into this before and be able to cut you one. Prepare like London Broil.

Mine has to be a ribeye with NY strip a close second. Grilled over hot charcoal to a nice medium rare.

If I don't want to fire up the grill then I sear it on top of the stove and finish it up in the oven to medium rare.

Then I make a pan sauce with equal parts of red wine and beef stock (the real stuff, not out of a can or box!) reduced down to coat a spoon and then throw in a pat or two of butter.

Buther's Little Secret - Check Eye Steak

Not many people know this but when your butcher is cutting Chuck Eye roast they also cut chuck eye steaks. Most butchers will special cut you chuck eye steaks at your request. Chuck eye steaks have beautiful marbling and are extremely tender and juicy due to the marbled fat content. I usually broil tenderloin but after eating chuck eye I’ll never purchase tenderloin again! I broil a 1.5” chuck steak at HI on the second from the top rack level in my oven for 8 minutes per side, with Greek seasoning. Upon completion I immediately brush them with olive oil and serve. My favorite is applying a slightly diluted Teriyaki sauce (Soy Vey Very Teriyaki is the best) with a sprig of cilantro and thinly cut sautéed red bell pepper. Let me tell you, if you love to cook and you love a great steak, you’ll rarely ever pay high price for a so called “prime peace of meat” in a restaurant again after eating a chuck eye steak. All my friends have ranted about how they love chuck eye steak now that they know about it. The best part is, it’s inexpensive! For example, it's about $8 for a six pack where I live or about $4.80 for two 2” thick steaks, price may vary where you are.

Enjoy! :chef:

Last edited:
Well, before my doctor put me on a "low fat" Low sugar" diet I enjoyed the ribeye, then the NY strip, either grilled over oak or broiled medium rare (salt and pepper only). But since the diet (I cant stay away from beef!) I have learned the pleasures of sirloin. Over the holidays we did a whole sirloin (13lbs) just like you would a standing rib (500 for 5 min a lb turn oven off and leave in for 1 1/2 hours) it was good!:chef:

Low fat low sugar! How is one to survive like that:LOL:

Over the holidays we did a whole sirloin (13lbs) just like you would a standing rib (500 for 5 min a lb turn oven off and leave in for 1 1/2 hours) it was good!

We have a big family dinner before Christmas and I use this as the roast beef. Be sure it is a whole top sirloin roast for the most tender and flavorful meat. It served 30 (mine was 14#) amply and probably would have served 40. It is a wonderful cut for this because it is tender and doesn't have to be cut in any particular way (as does a sirloin tip roast) to make it a tender cut.
I got mine at Costco--cost was $2.75/lb. for a total of about $38. Pretty cheap eating for a crowd.

depends on the recipe...filet, flank for marinated London Broil, flat iron

I just don't eat 20oz of meat at one sitting so the classic Tbone etc are not what I do.

Years ago at the company I worked for we sold what the "butchers" called a long-bone sirloin...it had an elongated bone in it...Cut 11/2" to 2" it was fantastic...it even had nice piece of filet attached to it...However today around here it is hard to find a bone-in beef product except when they advertise whole bone-in ribe eye.. which we enjoy. Top loin..thick cut..makes a nice flavorful steak..not quite as tender as rib-eye..nor as fat. IMO any meat is better with a bone in it period!

And in restaurants when you can order a bone in cut, it is BIG bucks but really good. Elway's in Denver serves a bone-on filet that a friend reported to be the best piece of meat he ever put in his mouth!! They have an in house butcher of course.
DH had a bone on rib steak at our club, that while good, I didn't think it near matched the menu price!!

I have begun buying porterhouse or Tbones when on sale and having them cut double thick. Then we "carve" off of the steak. This way, I can get a REALLY good caramelized crust from the grill but still have it nice and rare. Had one last night as a matter of fact. It was on sale for $5.99/lb.--it was about a $13 piece of meat (cut about 2+ inches thick) and served us for dinner with a LOT of leftovers for a lunch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom