"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 01-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #51
Executive Chef
depends on the recipe...filet, flank for marinated London Broil, flat iron

I just don't eat 20oz of meat at one sitting so the classic Tbone etc are not what I do.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire
Years ago at the company I worked for we sold what the "butchers" called a long-bone sirloin...it had an elongated bone in it...Cut 11/2" to 2" it was fantastic...it even had nice piece of filet attached to it...However today around here it is hard to find a bone-in beef product except when they advertise whole bone-in ribe eye.. which we enjoy. Top loin..thick cut..makes a nice flavorful steak..not quite as tender as rib-eye..nor as fat. IMO any meat is better with a bone in it period!

Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #53
Sous Chef
And in restaurants when you can order a bone in cut, it is BIG bucks but really good. Elway's in Denver serves a bone-on filet that a friend reported to be the best piece of meat he ever put in his mouth!! They have an in house butcher of course.
DH had a bone on rib steak at our club, that while good, I didn't think it near matched the menu price!!

I have begun buying porterhouse or Tbones when on sale and having them cut double thick. Then we "carve" off of the steak. This way, I can get a REALLY good caramelized crust from the grill but still have it nice and rare. Had one last night as a matter of fact. It was on sale for $5.99/lb.--it was about a $13 piece of meat (cut about 2+ inches thick) and served us for dinner with a LOT of leftovers for a lunch.

Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote