What should I serve with burgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I am having friends over for burgers tomorrow night and wonder if someone can come up with something a little different to serve with them, besides the usual salads, etc.. Also, what kind of cheese would you offer to put on them?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Lyndalou

Cheese is a very personal thing. I have 5 kids plus dw and I, we all like diferent cheese. So it really is hard to say. But for the sides for the burger if you want to make fun and nice stop by Fudrokers and see what they have and do the same thing. it is awesome.

Mozzarella Cheese...Fresh if you can find it.
Fresh Basil Leaves...
Slices of Tomato...
Drizzle with EVOO and a dusting of Garlic powder....
On your burger of course..with toasted bun.

Sweet Potato or Eggplant or both fries........

Monterey Jack Cheese is another idea......

Blue cheese is a nice offering ... something that people don't often think to put on their burgers so it might be fun for guests to try.

You could also offer some different "stuffings" for people to try before you grill / cook them off. DH just made some with blue cheese, fresh basil and cherry tomatoes ... YUM! Some different combinations that are pretty easy might be: cheddar with bacon, blue cheese with grilled onion, swiss with mushrooms. People can slice their [uncooked] burger in half, put what they want on one half, seal closed with the other half and cook away. Might be another fun spin on dinner. Who can come up with the best stuffing combination (and then tell the rest of us!).

I love Provolone on my burgers! I also like to add a homemade garlic/kosher salt/olive oil paste to my burger meat along with more olive oil and some Worcestershire - I use very lean meat and the oo keeps it moist.

Now, for sides.

Since it's summer you could make a pasta salad out of:

cooked rotini pasta
chopped tomatoes
cubed water-packed mozzarella
basil chiffonade
enough olive oil to moisten pasta
salt/pepper

We just had a watermelon/tomato/red onion/olive oil/red wine vinegar/bit of sugar salad with our burgers - it was refreshing, different, and excellent!!! Right before serving you add some cracked black pepper.

Grilled romaine is always good.

Blue cheese is a nice offering ... something that people don't often think to put on their burgers so it might be fun for guests to try.

You could also offer some different "stuffings" for people to try before you grill / cook them off. DH just made some with blue cheese, fresh basil and cherry tomatoes ... YUM! Some different combinations that are pretty easy might be: cheddar with bacon, blue cheese with grilled onion, swiss with mushrooms. People can slice their [uncooked] burger in half, put what they want on one half, seal closed with the other half and cook away. Might be another fun spin on dinner. Who can come up with the best stuffing combination (and then tell the rest of us!).

And then make sure everyone washes their hands immediately! :chef: That would be fun!!! Might have to keep that in mind. I would gladly be the "stuffer" so I didn't have to worry about everything in my house being contaminated! :rolleyes:

My favorite thing for a "special burger" is Bleu cheese and sliced green olives.

It tastes nothing like you expect. The bleu cheese is creamy and nice, the green olives mellow out a bit and provide a nice edge.

I'm an old school, classic American style burger lover, but I've found adding some seasoning to the meat before forming burgers can be good. I've used a bit of garlic powder and a season salt blend by a local butchery, but I'm sure you could experiment with dang near anything. Add some cumin, chili powder and paprika for a southwestern flavor (topped with your favorite salsa perhaps). Or, maybe combine different meats as well.

you could add old bay seasoning or worcesrershire.
havarti cheese.
& bleu is great,, i agree with these guys.

Asparagus

If you're grilling & can get thick Asparagus spears, lightly drizzle w/ EVO and grill them. Great substitute for fries/other usual suspects.

Had a great burger " veggie of course" when i was in atlanta.
gurger + guacamole + onions + tomatoes + cilantro + montery jack + bun

maybe lettuce too, i forgot, but i do remember it was great .

My Fav burger is with pesto topping, fresh sliced mozz cheese, and fresh basil leaves, with a side of garlic parmesan fries

I also love sweet potatoe fries with my burgers

Wonder what she decided on.

I always wonder which idea a poster goes with, when they get a bunch of replies.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom