What to do w/oxtails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I got a big bunch of these from my Daddy last trip...

What to do with.

the recipes on the net are mainly soup or pasta sauce.

any suggestions?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

I have several packages of oxtail in the freezer that I need to use up (along with soup bones). I was going to try braising some like shortribs...in red wine, tomatoes, onion garlic, carrots, worcestershire and maybe some thyme, rosemary, and/or oregano.

The rest I'm going to roast with the soup bones and simmer down with onions, carrots and celery for stock and then freeze it or, if I get motivated, can it.

You cherish them, that's what you do. I just priced them in the grocery store yesterday. They want $5.99 a pound! I had planned on using them the same way my Mom used to - fix them like stew meat. She would make a pot of them with carrot chunks, small whole onions, and potato. Thicken the gravy when they're done. Make sure you have some good bread for sopping up all the gravy.

This - Meat and Black Bean Stew Recipe, Feijoada Recipe

Simply substitute the short ribs for the carne seca.

The oxtails could also be roasted, or fried to a deep brown, then used to make a sensational beef stock.

Cook them with wild rice to make a wonderful rice dish. Add tomato, peppers, onions, etc.

If you prepare the beef first, you can use it, and the broth with egg noodles to make a bhost of yummy dishes, from gulyas, to stroganoff.

Just remember, oxtails are tough, and require a long braise, or pressure cooking to make them tender. They are also full of great beef flavor.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You cherish them, that's what you do. I just priced them in the grocery store yesterday. They want $5.99 a pound! I had planned on using them the same way my Mom used to - fix them like stew meat. She would make a pot of them with carrot chunks, small whole onions, and potato. Thicken the gravy when they're done. Make sure you have some good bread for sopping up all the gravy.
I have heard that oxtail soup is wonderful. I have never bought oxtail because it's so expensive. :ermm:

Revere them! Braise them slowly with some chopped onion, S&P, and perhaps a bay leaf or two. Cover with cold water and let them cook in a covered dish in a slow oven ( about 170c ) for a couple of hours or until the meat is happy to come off the bone. Thicken the stock if you wish and serve with lashings of mashed potatoes. Try this;
BBC Good Food | Recipes and cooking tipsrecipes/.../braised-oxtail-with-basil-

Ox Tail was very popular in Miami. In the Cuban culture.
Back before food trucks were all the rage, we had a few scattered about Miami. Usually near some type of industry or big construction site.

There was one I went to every chance I got and they made ox tails. It was in the middle of nowhere. The ox tails were braised as the entre and served with traditional black beans with rice and sweet baked plantains.
They only served them on Weds if my memory serves me correct. It was excellent!
Add a nice chunk of real Cuban bread and you were not even hungry come dinner/supper time.

What to do with.

any suggestions?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.
Assuming the tails are chopped into manageable pieces, sauté them in a little oil and butter to brown them and put into an oven-proof casserole dish. Saute chunks of onion, carrots, parsnips (if you like them) and celery plus 3 crushed garlic cloves (take care not to burn the garlic). Add to the casserole dish and de-glaze the sauté pan with red wine or stout (I prefer Mackeson to Guiness but use whatever you like). Add beef stock (Knorr jelly things do for me but use homemade if you’ve got it), a good slug of Worcester sauce, fresh or dried herbs of your choice, salt and black pepper, grated orange rind and a blob of tomato puree or even good tomato ketchup. The last two are optional but they do add to the dish without overpowering it.

Cook in the oven at 300deg F for about 2 hours until the meat is almost done. You can also use your slow cooker. It’s best to do this the day before you want to serve it as ox tail is quite fatty and you need to let the casserole get cold so you can lift the fat off the top of the sauce and dispose of it.

Thicken the sauce with buerre manie or flour or corn starch slaked with a little water and reheat thoroughly. The meat should be almost falling off the bones.

I serve it with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable. Definitely a winter warmer

You could cook it in a pressure cooker but the resulting stew isn’t as good as the one cooked long and slow. You could also use chillies but I don't because chillies and I don't get on.

Last edited:
To think that it was once the food of the poor! One thing about it is that as the meat is so rich you don't need too much of it
Lots of cuts that were once the food of the poor have become pricey. People found out just how tasty "poor people's foods" could be. I don't buy ribs. They cost more per kilo than boneless pork. Celery root (celeriac) is still over priced, but has come down to reasonable. Leeks, give me a break. One of my local supermarkets has them on special this week: $2.50 for three skinny, little leeks. Does anyone really believe that the Irish invented leek and potato soup because they were a gourmet vegi?

Brown mushrooms used to be the cheap ones, as they were common. Someone discovered the edible white variety in their mushroom cave, and started growing them. Because they were so clean looking, they gained instant popularity, and were the "gourmet" mushroom. Everyone else jumped on board for the money, and the white button mushroom became the standard. Now the portabellas, and cremini mushrooms are more expensive, and thought to be superior. They might have a little more flavor than their white cousins, but not much. I'd be that if you closed your eyes, and had someone give you a sample of both, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, either in flavor or texture.

We place value on things, or rather, the producer places value on the things they produce. They will always try to maximize their profits, no matter that they price so many things out of the reach of ordinary folks. There are always enough privileged people to support their pricing practices.

The only recourse we have to pricing is the boycott. Very few people boycott anything. We have credit cards.:ohmy: We can get it now, go into ridiculous debt, and pay the piper later, or so we think.

We are a ridiculous society anymore, IMHO.
Don't even get me started on medical costs.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

What to do with.

any suggestions?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Hi giggler, you can try Coda alla vaccinara, one of the most famous recipes of the cucina romana, Rome style cooking.
I made only one time, and I miserably failed: I had no patience, and I did’nt cook the oxtail long enough. It’s basically a stew, although I read somewhere that the original recipe should include raisins, pine nuts and cocoa...
Here you can find an "Oxtail alla Vaccinara" recipe from Mario Batali.

When I ate it in Rome, it was GOOD, and I mean GOOD :yum:

Ciao
Luca

Last edited:
Brown mushrooms used to be the cheap ones, as they were common. Someone discovered the edible white variety in their mushroom cave, and started growing them. Because they were so clean looking, they gained instant popularity, and were the "gourmet" mushroom. Everyone else jumped on board for the money, and the white button mushroom became the standard. Now the portabellas, and cremini mushrooms are more expensive, and thought to be superior. They might have a little more flavor than their white cousins, but not much. I'd be that if you closed your eyes, and had someone give you a sample of both, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, either in flavor or texture.

We place value on things, or rather, the producer places value on the things they produce. They will always try to maximize their profits, no matter that they price so many things out of the reach of ordinary folks. There are always enough privileged people to support their pricing practices.

The only recourse we have to pricing is the boycott. Very few people boycott anything. We have credit cards.:ohmy: We can get it now, go into ridiculous debt, and pay the piper later, or so we think.

We are a ridiculous society anymore, IMHO.
Don't even get me started on medical costs.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
According to the chap I know that works at the local mushroom "factory", which supplies most of the supermarkets in the north west of England, portobellos are just grown up button mushrooms. The white buttons are just left for one or two days longer before picking. OK, so what we used to call "horse mushrooms" when we went mushrooming in the fields around the house and I don't think letting them mature for one or two days longer justifies the hike in price. Admittedly they taste better than tiny button mushrooms but...

As Shirley Conran said in the 1970s "Life's too short to stuff mushrooms".

Lots of cuts that were once the food of the poor have become pricey. People found out just how tasty "poor people's foods" could be. I don't buy ribs. They cost more per kilo than boneless pork. Celery root (celeriac) is still over priced, but has come down to reasonable. Leeks, give me a break. One of my local supermarkets has them on special this week: $2.50 for three skinny, little leeks. Does anyone really believe that the Irish invented leek and potato soup because they were a gourmet vegi?
Hells teeth! I'd better star growing some before the price hikes up here. My local greengrocer doesn't seem to have caught on to this one yet.

Back
Top Bottom