What to serve with fried ribeye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

k_young221

Assistant Cook
My husband likes when I make fried steak, thinly pounded and breaded ribeye that's deep fried. (I don't know if that sounds weird or not, but it's pretty tasty.) Anyway, I serve it with homemade potato chips, but the plate seems kind of empty. Any suggestions for what I can serve with it? I really can't think of anything except a salad.

Thanks,
~K

Since your steak is fried, I think I would go with smashed potatoes with some onion in the water while the potatoes are boiling, then just mash it right into the mixture. As for another veggie, (other than salad), go with something colorful like glazed carrotts, or corn, peas, or roasted root vegetables.

lol I never would have thought to deep fry a steak, but he likes it. =)

~K

I could not do that to rib eye either, but, if someone pointed a gun at my head and forced me to do that :mad:I'd think about some roasted red potatoes and a nice crisp green salad or a green veggie of some kind.:angel:

Mm I'd love some mashed potatoes, but dh insists on potato chips. Ah well. A nice colorful veggie sounds good. Try to inject *some* kind of nutritional value into this deep fried meal. Maybe I'll go with some carrots and a nice salad.

Thanks for the help! Please don't think less of me for deep frying a nice steak. =)

~K

Roasted asparagus or broccoli, steamed carrots, garden peas, haricot verts. Any green vegetable will be fine.
And I am with the others--I could not imagine frying, let alone deep frying a ribeye. But do what you have to do!! ;o)

What you have there is a gourmet country fried steak. I'm sure it comes out beautifully tender.
I can't even think of country fried steak without mashed or smashed potatoes and gravy...I like cream gravy, but some prefer brown...a vegetable such as green beans, peas or corn to mix in with your potatoes and gravy...and a homemade roll.

That's the tradition, anyway.

LOL! I'm in the "how could you do it?" camp as well, but if thats what he wants, well gotta give it to him.

Since you have the protein, and the carb already, you just need a veggie to go with. Choose something colourful as others have suggested. I'd personally go with some nice baby carrots or some frenched green beans. When they were done cooking I'd toss them with some butter and sprinkle with some grated cheese (fresh parmesan if you have it) and maybe a sprinkle of dill. Mmmmmmmm!

Excellent. Green beans it is. And the mashed potatoes and gravy and fresh roll post made my mouth water. =P yum

Thanks everyone!
~K

k, make some mashed spuds and gravy; they will be good in the fridge for a couple of days for you to eat. Let your hubby have his chips but just maybe he will see how good your plate looks and he'll want some too!!

Hi K,
As everything else is fried, a nice steamed veggie medley would be a nice contrast. Maybe something as simple as broccoli, carrots and yellow sqaush would be a good side.

mudbug said:
I just could not do that to a nice ribeye.

Cube steak, sure.
Me, too. But if you must, try broccoli rabe or haricot vert sauteed with garlic and olive oil. The green, the garlic, and the crunch would be a nice counterpart. If you can do the steak pan fried, you can get the extra boost by doing the veg in the deglazed pan after the steak is done (and the excess oil drained off).

I'm not going to bash you for what you're doing to that steak. People order steaks well done daily and I still cook those while I wouldn't serve it to a dog I hated.

Anyway, one restaurant I worked at in Upstate NY had a similar item on the menu although it wasn't thinly pounded or deepfried (thick and pan fried, but still breaded). We served it with sautéed portobello mushroom slices in garlic cream sauce. It ROCKED!

And yes, the natural side for that was garlic mashed redskin potatoes (skin on).

Bon appétit and ciao,

We can buy a whole ribeye here (approx 20 lbs) and have it cut any way we want. It is very common to see thin ribeye steaks. This seems to be somewhat of a different style ribeye than the "ribeye".

Sounds like this steak and chips are a favorite of his. Keep this on the menu and cook another style steak adding the sides.

I'd make a dessert to serve after the steak/chip meal.

I have the WWE cookbook back when it was the WWF, and there's actually a recipe for Chicken fried steak that calls for ribeye. I made it once. Didn't work so well (pan/oil too hot) but not horrible. Gotta try it again sometime. all it calls for is flour, paprika, salt, pepper, seasoned salt egg and the steaks.

I'd make a nice white sausage style gravy like The Cracker Barrel does, and pour that over the CFS with a side of home made mashed taters. Pick your veggie; I prefer corn, but whatever!

Bon appetito!

Back
Top Bottom