Where do you buy meats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lhanson

Cook
Was curious as to where everyone purchases their meats...supermarket, meat market, etc.? I haven't been very impressed with our local grocery store's selections, but am not sure about what the best alternatives are. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

We just get most of ours at safeway... we do have a butcher here in town that has wonderful meat but.. the prices are a little high for everyday eating.

the butcher/meat packers, the local grocery stores where they cut all thier own meats and package them, giant eagle, and once in a great, great while wal-mart.

For my everyday stuff I go to the local super market. For special occasions I will use out meat store. They have a very small selection otherwise I would use them all the time.

Local Safeway usually. We have been getting some really good ribeyes there lately.

I also like Costco for salmon, tenderloins, and boneless pork chops.

SAM's and the grocery store. Sometimes we go to the speciality markets for certain things.

I try to go to my local natural store or price shop wht I can afford. I try my best to get meat that has no growth hormones, etc. I found the best chicken prices at my local trader joes. As for seafood, I am lucky, I can order wild fish and other seafood and get whatever price the seafood distributor is giving to local small businesses. Pork and beef: I get what's on sale at my local natural store (Natures Wild Oats or New Seasons).

I'm really lucky. My local butcher only stocks organic meats -most of which are raised on his family's farms. Lamb, beef, chicken and pork - as well as wonderful sausages, offal and HAGGIS!:mrgreen:

I don't like buying meat which is ready prepared and wrapped in cling-film on a litle polystyrene tray.

I also buy my fish fresh from my local fishmonger.

I'm lucky (and I know it!) to be able to buy fresh, organic meat from a local small shop.

I buy most of my beef on the hoof. My wife was raised on a farm, so we have some good contacts. The beef we buy has no additives with the possible exception of antibiotics, and they are administered only if actually needed. Otherwise it's from 100% natural yearling herefords, and every bit as good as the best Angus I've seen, better than most supermarket premium Angus. I occasionally buy ribeye steak at Sam's Club... best price and excellent meat, and there are never enough good steaks in a beef side or quarter to last as long as the off cuts do.

As for the rest, pork and chicken I get in the supermarket.

I shop mainly at OBriens and Costco, plus a butcher shop..Just depends on what I want at any given time.

kadesma

Im not that bad off... my grocery market sells low to medium quality meats besides some specialties. Often I will buy a whole pork shoulder or smoked ham shoulder (99c a pound either one) and cheap ground beef or so on there and butcher it myself.

If I ever need anything special (like goat) or very pretty steaks Meatland is just one more block worth of walking and totally worth it.

For many things the local grocery is fine. For specialty items I head to a real butcher. If I am near a Whole Foods I stock up...that store is a dream come true. The quality and freshness is not duplicated by any other "super"market I know. Just entering their produce dept is enough to make me a vegetarian. But then I get to their fish and meat counters and it is almost as if I were in a small specialty shop; not quite but almost. And then the great cheeses! Luckily it's not around the corner or I'd be in trouble. While their prices are higher, there is no waste from spoilage or damage.

Robo410 : I miss whole foods. It's still really close to my house (a 20 minute trolley ride at most) but not nearly as easy as the short walk to the local stop in shop. As you said, the meat's there are REALLY hard to beat and while their vegetable selection is not THAT big, it collects almost everything you wont find at normal grocery stores.

This really falls into that "it depends" gray area ... I look at the grade of the meat, and at the meat itself, and go from there - it really depends on what I'm making. I do have a butcher that I will use if I'm looking for something special - special meat like bison or a special cut - but normally I just buy the best deal from the local supermarket.

There is a small gorcery store right down the street from my house that has a real meat department, with real butchers on duty, day and night. All the meats, in a variety of cuts, are displayed individually in the display case and you can pick and choose whichever piece(es) you want, you can ask for custom trimming, special cuts, or place special orders (I ordered my Christmas prime rib there, 3 bones, ribs 4, 5, and 6), plus, the butchers will sharpen your kitchen knives, gratis!

Back
Top Bottom