Where's the beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, no tweaking. The grocery store had those little plastic containers of "fresh" herbs, so I picked up a couple.
So..... how do you measure a tsp of a fresh herb? Pack it into the tsp? It's kinda leafy.

And, on another note (thread), no port in those little bottles. Just merlot and sauvignon (sp?). I'm holding off on that for now. I don't mind coolers, but I don't really like wine..... maybe I could mix the leftover with 7up or something :wacko:

And the butcher asked me if my freezer was full yet when he handed me my other cut loin of ribeyes :LOL:

Ok....I just got my sales flyers form Winn Dixie & Food Lion........ribeyes (choice) are on SALE for $6.99 lb, "savings of $4.50 lb":ermm:strip steak (value pack) $8.99 lb "save $4.00 lb":mad::ohmy:
Its no wonder I dont buy much steak! I wonder if it would be cheaper to drive to PA & pick up some ribeyes & drive back to Florida:LOL:

Well choice is a better cut than select, and these were a couple bucks more per pound if you didn't buy the whole loin (the whole loin produced good steaks though, not like some loins where the ends aren't that "pretty"), but that said, it might be cheaper for me to get some dry ice and some styrofoam coolers and send ya some :LOL:

pacanis, that's easy. Don't measure. Just pinch some off, mince it, and go with it. I don't really measure when I make stuff anymore, it's all done to taste.

GrantsKat, grab your phone book, and start looking for some restaurant supply places. Most don't sell groceries, but they might be able to give you the name of some place that does, that will also sell to the public. See if there's a listing for "Fadler" or "Gordon's Food Service" (a.k.a GFS). You can also try looking at Sam's. Forget buying a few steaks. If you have the freezer space, just buy a whole strip loin, and cut your own NY Strips off it. Yes, it's a lot of money to lay out at one time, but, cut your own steaks, individually wrap and freeze them, and you'd be surprised how much money you save in the long run. The same can be said for any boneless steak, like Ribeyes (you need a prime rib clod for that) or Filet Mignon (you need a tenderloin, which has to be peeled of membranes and connective tissues before cutting). Top Sirloin, Bottom Round roasts, etc., can easily be cut into steaks, but they won't be as nicely marbled as a Ribeye. You'll want a pretty big knife that's razor-freaking sharp to cut the steaks. You'll probably also want a kitchen scale to weigh your steaks. Using a scale to weigh each steak lets you know about how thickly you want to cut the steaks so that they weigh X oz. Unless, you want splurge and cut a 2" Ribeye.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom