Where's the beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
In my freezer :wacko:

You remember those ribeyes I picked up last week for 4.99/lb? I saw the store still advertising NY strips for 2.88/lb, so I stopped in to see if they still had the ribeyes. They did. They also had porterhouse loins for 3.99/lb, already frozen. :D So the foodsaver and I just had a little session again. I think I'm still going to go back for another ribeye loin. Last week I called the butcher I had boughten a quarter from last year and a front quarter was 2.35/lb and a rear 2.65 or 2.85 (it's written down somewhere), but at these beef prices...... I think I'll just stock up on steaks.
The only thing that worries me is my freezer is circa 1983 :ermm: You know how the new refrigeration appliances never seems to work like the old ones, but at that age I am wondering if I should have a backup in place. I am a little nervous about that, but at any rate I love this crazy sale the local store is having!

Attachments

• porterhouse.jpg
    porterhouse.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 240
You know what I think....I think our friend Pacanis here knocked off a meat truck!!:ohmy::ohmy: Come now...fess up!!!

:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Fire up the barby Quicksilver! It;s 37F here today. I could use a little warm weather again :LOL:

I have no idea why or how they are getting this stuff and selling it so cheap, unless it has something to do with their remodeling and maybe trying to get the "townfolk" shopping there more, but I plan on taking full advantage of it while it lasts ;)

Hey Miniman, what do beef quarters go for in the UK? I know it seems to vary alot here in the states, plus I just found out that even my country butcher stopped raising their own beef :ohmy: He said he buys it by the side now and butchers it. I was hoping to get some of these cuts like flank or skirt we were just talking about, but the only way to get them is to buy it by the quarter or more. I'll bet since they don't raise their own beef anymore, they may charge more now.

it could be a loss leader, as you suggested, pacanis. ya know, something really cheap to get you into the store, and hopefully you'll buy other stuff for their profit.
i usually look for what stores have good sales on meats, and then go shop there for most of the rest of our weekly supermarket needs. so a loss leader in the meat dept. would work with me.

as far as your freezer goes, well, a lot of us could be at your house pretty quickly, if need be. :pig: those porterhouses are screaming my name.

Fire up the barby Quicksilver! It;s 37F here today. I could use a little warm weather again :LOL:

I have no idea why or how they are getting this stuff and selling it so cheap, unless it has something to do with their remodeling and maybe trying to get the "townfolk" shopping there more, but I plan on taking full advantage of it while it lasts ;)

Hey Miniman, what do beef quarters go for in the UK? I know it seems to vary alot here in the states, plus I just found out that even my country butcher stopped raising their own beef :ohmy: He said he buys it by the side now and butchers it. I was hoping to get some of these cuts like flank or skirt we were just talking about, but the only way to get them is to buy it by the quarter or more. I'll bet since they don't raise their own beef anymore, they may charge more now.

I get mine from a local farm - they raise the beef, the pigs are free range and bought in - not very far. Last time the beef was £1.80 a pound - we will see this time. Still a lot cheaper than buying the various bits. The pork is about £1.30 a pound.

As it is a hind I don't get flank or skirt (or if I do, its labelled stewing beef which I get diced).

Dang! At twice the price that would be cheap here. No Bull! LOL!
Right now its' 59 degrees here. We're getting an unusual cold front. We had in the mid 40s last night! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr! That's extreme here. The flannel sheets went on yesterday to prepare. They are saying tonight we are going to be the coldest night in October on record. We usually turn the heat on all day for only 2 weeks in Jan. The few weeks before and after, usually just turn it on in the morning to take the chill off. I hate extremes, hot or cold. But I'll tell you, I got the best sleep the past 2 nights.
But Oh boy, cool is the best weather to bbq, and eat!

I get mine from a local farm - they raise the beef, the pigs are free range and bought in - not very far. Last time the beef was £1.80 a pound - we will see this time. Still a lot cheaper than buying the various bits. The pork is about £1.30 a pound.

As it is a hind I don't get flank or skirt (or if I do, its labelled stewing beef which I get diced).

That comes to $2.84 here. That isn't as high as I expected.

Loss leader, BT? Thanks, I didn't know what that sales technique was called.
And they are not screaming your name.... they are whispering mine :ermm:
:LOL:

I'd stock up on that too. Is it Choice or Select? Either way, it's way cheaper than the Tiffany's I shop at.

The ribeyes were select, the strips weren't labeled and these..... I forgot to look, but they had decent marbling so I went for it. The strips did not look that good. Too skinny of a loin. The steaks would have been 10" long and only a couple in. wide.

What a great deal Pacanis! I wish the stores here would run a sale like that!

They'll be getting another visit from me tomorrow, Mama.
I may need to get that other freezer just to hold all this meat :)

This falls right into that Catch-22 I mentioned a while back though... You run into a good deal on something, you stock up like heck, then when you run out and want to stock up again you can't believe how much prices have increased :wacko:

When's the cookout? I make a couple different killer potato salads, and great mushroom d'uxelle or mushroom-based steak topper. :ROFLMAO:

When's the cookout? I make a couple different killer potato salads, and great mushroom d'uxelle or mushroom-based steak topper. :ROFLMAO:

Cookout/bonfire aside.... ;)
I played around a little with a steak sauce last week. Would you share your mushroom based steak topper? There's no sense having them all exactly the same way :chef:

Well, I don't really have a "written" recipe, as it's all done to taste. But, try this:

for 4 steaks
quarter an onion, then julienne it.
slice about 4 oz of mushrooms
1 t minced garlic
1 t minced fresh rosemary
1 t minced fresh thyme
1 T clarified butter
2 T red wine
2 T beef stock
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a saute pan over high heat until it starts to smoke. Add the butter, swirl, then add the onions, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Shake and toss for a few minutes, until the onions start to wilt. Deglaze with the wine and beef stock. Allow the liquids to reduce until there's hardly any left. Remove the pan from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over a grilled steak, or on the side.

Thanks Allen!
I might need to tweak things a bit when it comes to those two words "fresh" :ermm:, but I'm going to give this a try.

Back
Top Bottom