This dish hails from an old Inn in North Yorkshire, just off the Motorway A 19, called Mc Coy´s where the Vet and I had gone to meet some old friends from Vancouver, Canada.
The Vet had truly enjoyed the Beef stuffed with mushrooms and topped with herbed mashed potatoes ...
Here is the recipe:
MUSHROOM STUFFED BEEF WITH POTATO TOPPING ...
1/4 stick butter unsalted
6 oz. fresh mushrooms of choice and seasonal availability
1 small onion chopped finely
2 large shallots sliced finely
2 tsps. minced fresh thyme or 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 cup Portuguese Madeira
12 oz. of potatoes
1 tblsp. butter
1 tsp. fresh minced Sage Herb or 1/2 tsp. dried sage
1 egg yolk
2 tblsps. Evoo
Four eight ounce beef tenderlion steaks about 1 1/4 inches thick
a) FOR STUFFING ...
1) Melt the butter in heavy medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms rinsed and dried and chopped, onion, shallots and thyme and sauté until tender about 15 mins.
2) add the Madeira and cook until almost all the liquid evaporates, about five minutes. Season to taste with freshly ground blk. pep. and salt.
b) FOR TOPPING ...
1) Cook potato in large pot of salted boiling water until tender.
2) cool slightly and peel the potatoes
3) place the potatoes in a medium size bowl and add the butter and the sage.
4) Mash the potatoes until completely smooth
5) mix in egg yolk and combine well
c) FOR BEEF ...
1) preheat oven to 450 degrees farenheit
2) heat oil in a heavy skillet over high heat
3) cook steaks 2 minutes per side
4) transfer the steaks to a baking sheet and cool slightly
5) cut top 1/2 inch off each steak and spread 1/4 mushroom stuffing over bottom piece of each steak
6) arrange tops over stuffing and press to adhere
7) spoon potato topping into pastry bag fitted with a large star tip
8) pipe topping decoratively over each steak lid or cover
9) bake steaks until the topping is golden and steaks are medium rare about 9 to 10 minutes.
Kind Regards and Enjoy,