"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, i won't make jokes about putting wood chunks in your burgers (i'm waiting for bang to have a recipe for that), rainee.

but seriously, are jd wood chunks flavored with the whiskey, or is it just the same wood charcoal that they use to mellow the flavor, sans whiskey?

so far i have tried the duraflame brand lump charcoal, and royal oak. i love the flavor it gives meats, as compared to briquettes. gas grills are a distant third.

oh, i bought a charcoal chimney starter like you recommended. it works great!!!!!!!!! no more lighter fluid, just a coupla sheets of newspaper and away you go...

Old 06-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Glad you like the chimmney.

The Jack Daniels wood chunks are actually from the barrels they store the whiskey in. You get a faint taste of the whiskey.

They only use the barrels once for storing whiskey. Then they are sold to socth distilleries, or make furniture, etc.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:44 PM   #13
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i read that the most expensive burger in nyc last summer went for $44. it was made with ground loin meat, stuffed with truffles, and was topped with foie gras. boy, for that price i really hope it came deluxe, with fries and a coke...
and maybe a little toy too!
Old 06-23-2005, 04:46 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

It better come with Pepe the cabana boy.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:47 PM   #15
Hospitality Queen

Oh! I want one of those burgers!
Old 06-23-2005, 04:57 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
ooooh me too !!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 05:06 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

or, for the fellas - it better come with Sweet Loretta Martin.

In her high heel shoes, and a low-neck sweater.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:18 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I go fairly simple with our burgers, but we all like garlic in them, but not the hot of raw garlic, so I use roasted garlic, salt, pepper,and steak sauce, just a little then for each person I make two patties and place their favorite cheese in the center seal the two patties and grill...I also grill the buns, I like blue or roquefort cheese, so on my bun I use my dad's avocado dip, butter lettuce, tomato, onion and several slices of bacon...DH likes cheddar, bacon, tomato, thousand island..both girls like like mine but add some hot sauce to the avocado dip..Thar's about it Course, we have to have all the goodies to go with the burgers, potato slad, mac salad, chips..good things to drink

kadesma
Old 06-23-2005, 05:20 PM   #19
Head Chef

jkath, could you PM me the name and addy for the mesquite flavoring you use, please? Being a native Arizonian, I prefer mesquite over hickory any day!!![hr]It depends on my mood and who else will be eating with me on how I fix burgers. BTW, I love Paula Deen's egg burger too!!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:21 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
For me I have two ways to approach burgers. The first is my hometowns style... I grew up going to a place called "burger steak" which offered a big fat pattie but also it was really heavy on the fixings (lettuce, thick tomato slices, onion, avocado, fried onion, slice of canadian bacon, cheese, jalapeno slices... the works) so from time to time I make my burgers that way.

Mostly though I make the "small but powerful" ones. Regular store bought rolls, small (bout 1/4 lb patties), some fixings but well seasoned and usually packed with crisp bacon, bleu cheese and other "potent" ingredients. These usually take two to fill you up but man you savor every moment of it.

Shunka: I hate mesquite. It's probably my favorite flavor but when I was a little kid I burned my feet REALLY bad on mesquite sap that was boiling out of freshly cut branches and trunks. Still.. you gotta love that taste.

Tags
None