"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Your Steak Medium, Rare or Cloned?

Interesting TIME article: Your Steak Medium, Rare or Cloned? - TIME

Just wondering what others think of this. Would it affect your purchase decisions if you knew whether or not your meat was coming from a cloned animal or not?

chave982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Head Chef
Not a bit. The cloned meat would be identical to the meat from which it sprang.

Medium rare to rare, please.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Executive Chef
I'm with GrillingFool. I could care less if the meat is cloned or not. Med-rare to medium for me.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Master Chef
Rare please and if it is cloned, that is fine by me!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Executive Chef
My preference is that the animal is grass fed with plenty of room to roam. If it's cloned, just make sure the field is big enough for the both of them.

Rare please, with a side of still mooing.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer
No problem with cloned here either. Med rare.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
Medium rare is all I care about.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
Executive Chef
I'm not sure if I would eat cloned meat immediately. I have no issues with the concept of cloning, but it's my understanding that cloned animals have a high degree of genetic abnormalities, probably due to the concentrating of a single gene "pool" (since everyone has some genetic abnormalities or propensities. I guess I'd probably wait to see if this presents any issues along the line.
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
Master Chef
I have one questions: The article says that a cloned cow costs between $10,000 and $20,000 while a standard cow costs about $50. The article also says that cloned cows will never amount to more than a minuscule part of the market.
So what are the benefits if cloning costs so much more and will never account for a majority of the meat sold?
I know the article says the benefit is that cloning can do in a short time what has taken breeders decades to do, but if breeders have been doing it for decades, how much more can there be left to breed out?
But, it also says that what they hope to do is improve the animal thru genetic engineering. I thought these were too different things? One being a GM cow and the other being a Cloned cow.
I know this may sound stupid to those with more knowledge about this stuff, but it seems to me that cloning is not the end result of what they want, but more the means to get to what they want quicker which is GM cows.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, just saying it seems to be the goal they are working towards.

Other than that, medium rare please. And if you can get me the cow from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, the one that can point out what it's best cuts are for you, that would be way cool too...
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Head Chef
Remember when color TV's cost a mint. Now they are dirt cheap. Same goes for calculators, computers, you name it.

With cloning, over time, maybe all of us can enjoy Kobe beef.

Right now I have no problem with eating cloned beef. But order mine on the rare side unless the chef really knows what medium rare means.

Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote