2# boneless pork roast......what would you make

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
My store has this cut of meat on sale and I'd like to pick up several. I need some ideas on what to do with it. Care to share what you would make.

If it's a loin roast, you could just roast it with roasted potatos and a veggie.

You could slice it into 4-8 ounce pork chops and grill them.

Butterfly it and stuff it.

I don't recall the complete recipe (I could get it if you want) but my wife has a recipe for a pork loin in the slow cooker with apricot jelly/jam/preserves (don't recall which) and crushed pistachios.If you're interested, I'll post it whenever I get a chance at home.

I like to roast it in the oven to just done -

Another way I like it is in the crock pot -

1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup cranberry juice

Pour over roast in crock - Cook 4-5 hrs - depending on size. Take roast out and let rest at least 20 minutes.

Mix 1/4 cup cranberry juice with some cornstarch - pour juices from crock pot into saucepan and mix with cranberry/cornstarch mixture to make gravy.

Slice roast and pour gravy over it.

pork is so versatile...roast it with vegetables like carrots potatoes parsnips and herbs. roast or braise it with fruit like apples, appricots, dried cherries or cranberries. Grill it, barbeque it ,slow cook it.

Season it well and it will be delish!

You will never regret using this recipe.
Braised Pork Loin with Apples and Onions
Serves 4​
2 lbs center cut pork loin, trimmed to remove any excess fat and silver skin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground sage or poultry seasoning 2 tsp grape seed oil -or what you have
2 large sweet yellow onions peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
1 cup of dried apple slices, halved
1/2C chicken stock/broth
1 large can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4" to 1/2" thick
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Adjust the rack to the lowest position. Season the pork all over liberally with salt, ground pepper, and sage or poultry seasoning. Heat a large stewpot that has a tight-fitting lid, on high heat. (I used a Le Creuset pan, which worked quite well.) When hot, add the oil and brown the pork loin in the oil, all over, until deep golden brown. Remove the roast from the pot and set aside. Reduce heat to medium.
Add onions to the pot and cook them, stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize and turn brown, about 8 minutes. Add the dried apples, chicken stock, and apple juice concentrate to the onions in the pot and stir. Put the pork roast back in the pot and bring the pot to boil on the stovetop. Put the lid on the pot and put the pot in the preheated oven. Cook pork, covered, for approximately 30 minutes. Remove the cover from the pot and add the Granny Smith apples and stir. Baste the roast with the pan juices. Return the pot to the oven, uncovered, and cook 1 hour more, basting occasionally with the pan juices I think this cooking time was too long; you don't want to overcook the pork until it dries out.) Remove pot from the oven.
If the sauce seems too watery, place the pork on a cutting board and cover with a loose foil tent, and place the pot back on the stove on high heat and boil the juices down until they are syrupy, stirring as necessary so the apples and onions don't stick. Omit this step if there is little liquid in the pot. (I didn't find this step necessary.) Taste sauce and correct seasonings if needed.
Slice pork and place it on a serving platter, surrounded with apples and onions and drizzled with pan juices.

i have made the recipe that gretchen just posted, (the only differences being i used some white wine to deglaze before the onions went in, and a little less apple concentrate) with pork loins and tenderloins, and it is FANTASTIC!

Thanks so much for the recipes and ideas!

Does anyone have a pulled pork recipe. I like it to have a little spice. Actually, I'd like a lot but DH isn't too into spicy food but can hand a hint of spice.

Rub it with Southwest Seasoning, and put it in the crockpot with a beer. Let it slow cook until it's falling apart. Shred with a fork and return to crockpot and juices, and add BBQ sauce of your choice. I like Maull's for this. Makes great BBQ sandwiches.
Or put in the crockpot with a pkg of onion soup mix and a can of crm of mushroom. It will make it's own gravy and is great with mashed potatoes. I like to add some caramelized onions and mushrooms to the gravy.

There are lots of big hog farms in Illinois, and sometimes we can get whole boneless pork loin for as little as $1.48 a lb.
We divide the loins into a roast, some really thick chops for stuffing, some thinner chops that we pound into pork cutlets which we bread and fry, and some really thin pieces or chunks for pork stir-fry.

Back
Top Bottom