30-Minute Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
In thirty minutes, you can have mouth watering ribs that are tender, juicy, and just plain wonderful. Now I have to admit that I'm partial to good and meaty country stryle pork ribs.

To make tonight's 30-minute ribs, I first heated my pressure cooker with nothing in it until it was hot enough to fry an egg. I then added about thre tbs. cooking oil and let it heat for another minute. Then I just added the ribs. As I'm only cooking for two, I put in two ribs. I lighlty salted them. I then opened a can of apricot pie filling and emptied it into a 1 quart sauce pan. I added 1 can (10 oz.) of water and let it all heat up over a medium flame. I then turned the ribs over to brown on the ohter side. While the ribs were browning, I diced an onion and dropped it onto the ribs. Then, I added enough water to the pan to almost cover the meat and again lightly salted. I put on the cover and set the pressure to 15 lbs. I set the timer for 20 minutes and let it cook over medium high heat until the timer went off.

While the ribs were cooking, I added soy sauce, garlic, onion, and sweetener (Splenda) to the hot apricott sauce. I also added rice wine vinager after the other flavors cooked for about five mintues at a simmer. I let the sauce thicken at a slow boil until the ribs were done.

For veggies, I was lazy tonight and just heated some frozen baby peas in the microwave.

Total cooking time - 30 minutes
Flavor - exceptional
Texture - melt-in-your-mouth tender
Nutritional value - very low fat (very lean ribs)
High fiber
High nutrient value
Carbs- moderate if you used the apricot sauce sparingly.

Satisfaction - well, I'm sharing this with all of you because of how well it tuned out.

I guess Rachel is correct when she states that great meals can be had in 30 minutes.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I saw Emeril cooking ribs in a pressure cooker the other night. I may have to look into one of those. :chef:

eatsOats said:
Awesome! How long do you think they would take in a dutch oven?

IN a dutch oven, you will need to give the meat several hours. It will take that long for the braising action to break down the collagen and fats. The pressure cooker operates by increasing the temperature of boiling liquid. Increasing the atmospheric pressure applied to a liquid increases the boiling temperature of the liquid, thereby increasing the cooking temperature. This increased pressure and heat causes the connctive tissue, marrow, and any cartilage to disolve into collogen and tender meat.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Weed, you had to cut those ribs into single bones, right? Can't imagine a slab, or even a half slab browning OK in the pressure cooker, unless you own one that's bigger than I've ever seen.

mudbug said:
Weed, you had to cut those ribs into single bones, right? Can't imagine a slab, or even a half slab browning OK in the pressure cooker, unless you own one that's bigger than I've ever seen.

G'weed used country-style ribs. In our area, they are not sold in long slabs. Just manageable sections, which would be easy to brown in a pressure cooker. At least in mine.

Now I have to buy a pressure cooker, lol! As with all my hobbies it never ends but it's a heckuva lot cheaper than collecting watches. Can't remember the last time I was into anything practical so cooking may be a first. My 8qt stock pot with the pasta/steamer inserts should be showing up today via UPS. Boy, am *I* excited.
Just as I posted the doorbell rang and my cookware arrived. Really well made stuff and nice to look at.....Pasta tonight! Sorry if I'm off topic.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom