Adding liquid to tenderloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
should i or shouldn't i?
i usually don't & jake says i should when roasting my pork.

he doesn't cook you often. i dry roasted my tenderloins, & they turned out great. they were so tender they shredded. thanks!!

Don't do it. They're a very lean tender cut, no collagen to break down. Adding water would only turn it into a braise or stew and that's the wrong technique for such a cut. Dry heat is the way to go. and pull it at 140-145 so its still a bit pink in the center. This way it stays moist.

On the other hand, they're small enough I've taken to cooking them on the stove rather than roasting in the oven. Easy to handle and generate a nice exterior with good fond for a pan sauce at the end.

If Jake is looking for more moisture in the final product, you could brine or inject the tenderloins. For their size, I think injection is a good solution as it's quicker and less hassle compared to a brine

My favorite preparation is to cut them in thick "steaks" a bit thicker than a slice of bacon. Wrap with bacon and tie, skewer or hold in place with a toothpick. For the thin end, fold it over on itself, then wrap with bacon and tie so it's about the same size as the rest.

Use a thin cut bacon. Thick cut bacon won't fully crisp up.

Season the top and bottom and sear off the top and bottom. Cook on all sides of the bacon as well until crispy. The center should still be just pink at this point. Very tasty and again, fond for the pan sauce if you want to go that route.

thymeless

for my granddaughter saige's bday dinner i am making one in crock pot. has a sauce with apricot jam in it, forgot what else. and on the bottom stuffing. still there is no water added. i brown tenderloin before cooking in crockpot.

babe:chef:

luvs - if you want another EASY recipe put the tenderloins in a ziplock and dump in a can of fruit cocktail for the day. Dump everything in a small pan and stick in oven at a higher temp than normal (maybe 375 or even 400 - can't remember right now but I know you'll figure that out). Or it can be just peaches...you get the idea.

I had a friend who roasted hers too and made some pulled pork - it was very lean but it was still very good. Also - since his thought is "liquid", I often marinate in typical Asian flavors and use my bamboo steamer to cook them - boy are those good and tender!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't do it. They're a very lean tender cut, no collagen to break down. Adding water would only turn it into a braise or stew and that's the wrong technique for such a cut. Dry heat is the way to go. and pull it at 140-145 so its still a bit pink in the center. This way it stays moist.

thymeless

I agree completely :)

elf, canned fruit would work well, huh... tenderloins so chesp now i'm gonna hafta try that!

Tenderloin on open Wood Fire

Our friends cooked tenderloin in a heavy cast iron pot with cover on a wood fire. There was one ham cut in half and two tenderloins. NO WATER.

Cooked slowly over coals. After cooled he "slivered" them with a fork. So tender and pulled apart easy. Then he added the shredded cabbage (all done in the plastic bag) and some other seasonings. He mixed it all together. Tortilla wraps. They were delicious. Lots of work...but delicious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom