"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Beer Brined Pork chops........These are some of the best pork chops I've ever had. They can even be reheated in the microwave as leftovers and are still moist.
Thanks Craig! Looks yummy. This is a much nicer recipe than the one I saw earlier today. "Mine" had less beer/to water ratio, more sweetener, and no garlic/spices. I have two chubby chops, about a pound each. I'll make about a half recipe for them and let you know what we think.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
Head Chef

I'm Craig's wife and usually put this together before he gets home. If I don't have dark brown sugar, I'll use light. Sometimes I leave out the molasses, though I usually use a little more brown sugar in that case. I also add some smashed garlic and sage to the brine instead of just the topping. Sometimes, I use rosemary or thyme instead of or in addition to sage. I'll also sub out cumin and coriander if we are having sides with a more SW twist to them. It's very versatile as I'm sure you've realized. It also works on thinner chops, they just don't have to stay in quite as long.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I'm Craig's wife and usually put this together before he gets home...
So that makes you "she who does the work but doesn't get the credit", eh? I always have dark brown sugar here. Never bother buying the light unless a recipe insists it be used. Figured I'd add the garlic and spices to the brine to make it quicker and easier. And I like your swap of thyme for the sage. I have an abundance of fresh thyme and need a Penzeys pilgrimage because sage is one of many herbs/spices I'm running short of. As of right now these are slated to be Monday's dinner.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Beer Brined Pork chops
Attention everyone! You MUST try Craig's brine. Seriously, it is THAT good!

I used only half the liquid - we had two super-thick chops. My beer was Guiness. I also tweaked it a bit since medtran49 said it was OK , using all the same measure of spices but 1) adding it to the brine instead of using as a rub and 2) using thyme instead of sage since I had a ton of it. After brining for 4 hours we ended up keeping them over to the second day. I drained most of the brine, keeping just enough on the bottom so they wouldn't stick. I should have had enough to have almost an entire chop leftover. All that was left was bones. *burp* Grill the Pig ~ Be a Pig.

Craig, you really need to add this recipe to the Meats/Pork forum so it's easy to find. I'm sure we'll be using this again. And again....

Tags
pork, seasoning