"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Adjusting seasoning for thick pork chops

I'm making a recipe for pork chops and the recipe calls for 6 oz., 1/2-inch thick chops. I prefer to buy the thick cut chops, which are probably closer to 10-12 oz. But my question is... should I double the recipe's seasoning for thicker chops? I wasn't sure because the actual surface area is probably not much different than thin cut chops, it's just the thickness. Or should I double the seasoning because the weight of the chops is approximately double? I don't want to under or over season them... so what do you think?

Edit: Actually, as a secondary question - my preference to use thick cut chops is because from what I've read, they can be much more successfully grilled than thinner chops. For grilling, am I better off buying the thick chops or can I use 1/2" thick and be okay?

Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

If the seasoning is applied only to the surface, I don't believe I would double the amount. A slight increase would be good. You will taste the seasoning in each bite and the extra thickness might require a little more seasoning, but not doubled. JMHO, of course.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

+1

I don't buy the thin chops for grilling. I think they dry out too easily. Also, I like thicker chops.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Master Chef

I've also brined the thicker chops to ensure a tender yet juicy grilling. Unfortunately, the one brine recipe I have used (so far) uses apple cider. Bit out of season for that right now, and juice is probably too sweet.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I've also brined the thicker chops to ensure a tender yet juicy grilling. Unfortunately, the one brine recipe I have used (so far) uses apple cider. Bit out of season for that right now, and juice is probably too sweet.
Would you like a beer brine recipe for pork chops?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Master Chef

Does yours use dark beer Craig? I ran across one that calls for that, brown sugar, molasses, and salt. Recipe is for six chops, I'll be making two. Hmm, leftover beer for the cook?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Basic Brine

To a quart of water add 1/2 cup of sugar.
Add 1/2 cup of Diamond Crystal kosher salt (or 3/8 c Mortons kosher salt or 1/4 c of table salt).

Make a quart of brine for every pound of food. Brine for an hour a pound. Not less than 30 minutes or more than 8 hours.

For high temp cooking methods like grilling, broiling or high temp roasting, cut the salt and sugar measures in half.

You can use flavored liquids in place of the water. You can add seasonings.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Does yours use dark beer Craig? I ran across one that calls for that, brown sugar, molasses, and salt. Recipe is for six chops, I'll be making two. Hmm, leftover beer for the cook?
Beer Brined Pork chops

2 cups water
2 cups dark lager beer (or your choice)
1/4 cup salt - I haven't been using as much salt last couple of times, maybe just over half of the 1/4 cup
3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons molasses
1 cup ice cups
6 - 1 to 1-1/4" thick pork chops preferably bone-in, but we've also done w/o bone too

7 large garlic cloves, minced
3 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp salt
2 tsp dried sage leaves

Combine water, beer, 1/4 (or less) salt, sugar, and molasses in large bowl or bag. Stir/shake until sugar and salt are dissolved. Add ice. Add pork chops making sure they are covered. Refrigerate 4 hours turning occasionally.

Prepare barbeque. Remove pork chops from brine and pat dry.

This part is optional. They are good with or without this. Mix garlic, pepper, salt, and sage and rub in mixture over both sides of each chop.

Grill pork chops until instant read thermometer measures 145-150, about 10 minutes per side, moving to cooler spot occasionally if they start to burn. Transfer chops to platter, tent with foil, let stand for 5 mintues and serve.

We've been trying to cut down on salt so they've started tasting a little salty to us if I use the whole amount so that's why I cut down. These are some of the best pork chops I've ever had. They can even be reheated in the microwave as leftovers and are still moist.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Thin cut pork chops cause my left eye to twitch.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I love thin cut pork chops. Thick pork chops are too much like a roast to me anymore. And there was a time I used to grill 1-1/2" thick chops on a regular basis.
Maybe I'm not as much a fan of pork as I am beef, which I have no problem eating a thick steak. Pork I like the flavoring/seasoning of the crust, whether it's just S&P or bbq sauce.
I need to try brining sometime. Something that will give the pork more pizazz all the way through.

Tags
pork, seasoning