Another Pork chop question...crock pot related

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I've got the chops in a brine. Tomorrow morning I'll brown them and then put them in the crock pot. Here is the problem. DH and I leave at 7:30am every morning. He gets home around 4:30 (9 hrs) and I'll be home around 6:30 (11 hrs). Since our crock pot seems to cook a little on the "high" temp, should I just come home at lunch (1:30) and cook them on high until I get home at 6:30 (5 hrs)?? They are the thin/boneless chops.

Angie, if your pork chops are a bit on the thin side, I think the best plan would definitely be for you to start the meal at lunchtime. However, start them on LOW and have your husband turn them to HIGH when he gets home. That should take care of the cooking time until you arrive home. I think these cooking times should be fine, especially since you say your crock-pot cooks a bit on the high side.

I would also like to add that your chops may not need to be in a brine all night especially if there is a lot of salt in it. Personally, thin, boneless chops should be cooked right before you eat them. They don't have much fat in them and the crockpot cooking for an extended amount of time may create tough chops versus tender chops. I have always used the bone-in chops, even if they are on the thin side so I don't have an "experience" with the boneless.

Just my 2 cents and we all know that that's usually worth about a quarter of a cent :blush: :chef:

Miss Angie

DH home at 4:30 has everyting almost ready except the p-chops!
Maybe has the grill ready at 6:30

You get home at 6:30 pour yourself a glass of wine!

DH grills p-chops, they will be ready in a jiffy! Voila!!!:chef:

Have Fun and Enjoy!

Angie, I seem to remember that you wanted to cook some root vegs in the crock, along with the chops, right?

If so, and if you are determined with going the crockpot route, I'd go with having DH start the crock on high when he gets home.

Lee

Removed asterisks and changed word - Kitchenelf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all.

I do want to go the crock pot route since it's so hot here and we only have a little window air conditioner!!

I cannot imagine cooking pork chops in the crock pot for any reason. They are so lean, they surely will be very dry after that many hours of cooking, no matter how low the temp.

I'll be curious to know how you thought they turned out!

Last edited:
ChefJune said:
I cannot imagaine cooking pork chops in the crock pot for any reason. They are so lean, they surely will be very dry after that many hours of cooking, no matter how low the temp.

I'll be curious to know how you thought they turned out!

I have to agree, especially since they are the thin ones.

Brining is really not meant for anything that is going to be braised, anyway. It's a technique better suited to dry heat cooking.

I'd brine those thin chops for an hour or two and grill them.

Oh and have I asked you where in Iowa you are? I grew up in CR.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom