Anyone cook pork roast this way before?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure...It's just braising....Which can be done on top of the stove as well as in the stove. Most braises I do is on top of the stove...Just my personal preference. Again, either will work.

curious to why it isn't the norm. Meaning, most people or recipes you've come across have cooked it in the oven. It also calls for a 2lb pork loin and I might have to buy a bigger one because it will be for 4-6 people. Not sure on exact amount of people. I'm hoping I can still follow the recipe for a bigger loin if I have to get one that is bigger.

Yes, you can. Just increase the gravy ingredients and the herbs accordingly.

If you don't have a covered pot big enough, you can use a roasting pan or casserole dish and cover it tightly with foil and cook it in the oven for the same effect.

Just an observation...The recipe doesn't specifically call for a pork loin roast that I can see....The pictures are small and hard to see, but some shots look like it could be a boneless rolled & tied pork (butt) roast --- No matter - the cooking process will be the same..

Enjoy!

curious to why it isn't the norm. Meaning, most people or recipes you've come across have cooked it in the oven. It also calls for a 2lb pork loin and I might have to buy a bigger one because it will be for 4-6 people. Not sure on exact amount of people. I'm hoping I can still follow the recipe for a bigger loin if I have to get one that is bigger.

I prefer oven roasting to braising for boneless loin. A nice slow roasted loin is a treat.. There is nothing wrong with either method. They both taste great. I agree that looks like a rolled pork roast, not a loin. You don't need to tie a loin.

Well, there's a reason why this one is done on top the stove, as are many Italian meat dishes one might "expect" to see made in an oven. Until fairly recently (after WW II, for sure) most Italian homes did not have ovens. So if they wanted something roasted, they had to take it over to the bakery and get it baked after all the bread was done and the ovens were cooling.

As a result, many (rustic, especially) Italian meat recipes call for cooking in a covered pot on top the stove. As well, many Italians prefer their meat cooked to well done, because that's pretty much how they turned out baked in the bakers oven, and that's what they got used to -- except for grilled meats, of course.

Converting this dish, or any similar ones to oven baking is pretty easy, especially if your pot is oven-safe. Just don't set the oven too high. :)

I have seen loin roasts where a longer loin is cut in half and the two halves are tied togetherr to make a thicker roast.

Attachments

• porkloin.jpg
    porkloin.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 72
Cook Roasts in oven or Top of Stove or Crockpot

Yes you can cook any roast many different way. Top of stove and crock pot roasts, tender and mosit.

Either way is fine. Your choice.

Keep in mind that the pork loin is the same cut as the ribeye in beef. They are both best suited to dry roasting. Yes, you can cook a pork loin in a crock pot or braise it. Would you do that to a ribeye?

I use a similar method by rubbing the roast with olive oil then adding kosher salt and rosemary. I then tent it with foil and take the foil off the last 30 minutes so that it browns.

No, but in this case the roasts I make are delicous.

I don't doubt they are delicious. What I was trying to say was that, since braising is a cooking method that was developed to deal with less desirable cuts of meat (tougher, more connective tissue and and extra-muscular fat), it would be overkill to use an expensive cut for braising.

Well, there's a reason why this one is done on top the stove, as are many Italian meat dishes one might "expect" to see made in an oven. Until fairly recently (after WW II, for sure) most Italian homes did not have ovens. So if they wanted something roasted, they had to take it over to the bakery and get it baked after all the bread was done and the ovens were cooling.

As a result, many (rustic, especially) Italian meat recipes call for cooking in a covered pot on top the stove. As well, many Italians prefer their meat cooked to well done, because that's pretty much how they turned out baked in the bakers oven, and that's what they got used to -- except for grilled meats, of course.

Converting this dish, or any similar ones to oven baking is pretty easy, especially if your pot is oven-safe. Just don't set the oven too high. :)

Very interesting, I often find the history behind food just as appealing as the food itself!

Back
Top Bottom