Avoiding tough pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
about 2 litres

Another way to make super tender pork is to velvetize it. Thjis involves cutting the meat into thin strips, and marinating it in a mixture of beaten egg, cornstarch, soy sauce, and a touch of vinager (many people use wine in place of the vinager), and other flavorings that you may want such as ginger, garlic, etc.

The meat is then poaced in oil at a temperature no greater than 300', or simmering water until the cornstarch turns opaque. The meat can them be dipped in tempura, or used in stir-fries, stews, or other recipes where it requires very little cooking. It is super juicy, and tender.

Just one more technique to add to your cooking arsenal.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

How big was the pork loin? In less its cut into chops, I think a pork loin should be roasted or some other method. If you cut the loin into 1 inch chops then you can cook it in a skillet, but I tend to think of a loin more as a roast.

Perhaps if you have a roast, you could brown it in a skillet over high heat, then roast it for the rest of the time.

One thing to keep in mind is that most people ruin pork by cooking it too long. Earlier this year the USDA lowered their recommended temp for pork.

USDA Revises Recommended Cooking Temperature for All Whole Cuts of Meat, Including Pork, to 145 ºF

Don't want to hijack the thread, but wasn't sure if I warranted making a new one.
I'm cooking a pork fillet for Christmas. Only for 3 of us so about 500g. Wanted to cut slits in it and stuff in garlic, or thinking of making a garlic and BBQ sauce mixture to rub on top.
If I JUST put garlic in it (plus salt and pepper for seasoning), how would I roast the fillet without it being too dry? Would I cook it in some sort of liquid?
Thanks and hope this is ok.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but wasn't sure if I warranted making a new one.
I'm cooking a pork fillet for Christmas. Only for 3 of us so about 500g. Wanted to cut slits in it and stuff in garlic, or thinking of making a garlic and BBQ sauce mixture to rub on top.
If I JUST put garlic in it (plus salt and pepper for seasoning), how would I roast the fillet without it being too dry? Would I cook it in some sort of liquid?

Pork tenderloin (fillet) cooks quickly. It should be cooked over high heat not in a liquid. If you insert garlic into the meat, it should be thin slices. The flavor will get into the meat faster and that's what you need for a fast cooking item.

Oil the exterior and sear it in a hot skillet then pop it into a 400º F (200º C) to finish. Cook to an internal temperature of 145º F (63º C). Rest it for 15 minutes and slice.

You should be able to cook the pork tenderloin pretty fast without it getting dry. When I cook pork tenderloins, I usually use this method.

Cooking the Meat
Season Tenderloin With Salt Pepper
Preheat Oven to 425
Heat a saute pan over meduim high heat
Pour 2 tbsp veg oil into the pan
Sear the tenderloin on all sides till its golden brown(should take about 5 minutes).
Remove from saute pan and place in roasting rack.
Roast till desired doneness(should take 15 to 20 minutes).

If you want a sauce with it. You can try this.

Making the sauce
Once the tenderloin is in the oven, put the saute pan over medium heat.
Saute 1/4 of a medium onion and two minced garlic cloves until fragrant.
Add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste to the onions and garlic and cook a bit more.
Add 1.5 cups chicken broth, 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard, 2 tablespoon honey, 2.5 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.

Bring this sauce to a boil then simmer it till it reduces down to sauce consistency.

Just MHO, but pork tenderloin is BORING. I would slice it 1/2 inch and pound it to1/4, bread it. Maybe a nice slice of cheese and a little sauce. Sal.

Just MHO, but pork tenderloin is BORING. I would slice it 1/2 inch and pound it to1/4, bread it. Maybe a nice slice of cheese and a little sauce. Sal.

I agree. But you can look at it another way. It lends well to many kinds of treatments. Sauces, breading, grilling, slicing. Just like chicken breast IMHO. Not so much what it is, because it's not much on its own, but its all about what you can do with it. I sub it in to any veal scallopini recipe, great with lemon and garlic butter sauce, eaten cold as Chinese bbq pork, just to name a few...

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Ended up getting a 1.5kg loin instead of a fillet. It worked out best for the price! We'll just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom