Bacon grease question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I pour the bacon grease left in the frying pan into a container rather than down the drain. I keep the container under the sink (not refrigerated).
If I run into a recipe that calls for bacon grease or drippings, is it OK to scoop some out and use it? It seems to me it would be like using shortening, but I don't know.

Thanks

The bacon grease should either be refrigerated or frozen, pacanis. I wouldn't trust it if it's been stored under the sink. Too much risk of nasties. I keep a container of bacon grease in my freezer all the time to use over beans, for cornbread, etc.

Thanks again, lol.
I'll start a new container and keep in in the fridge.
BTW, does bacon grease actually freeze solid? How do you scoop out just a little?

The bacon grease should either be refrigerated or frozen, pacanis. I wouldn't trust it if it's been stored under the sink. Too much risk of nasties. I keep a container of bacon grease in my freezer all the time to use over beans, for cornbread, etc.
:)Ditto.Plus it will go rancid on you that way.

I have always had a crock of bacon grease in my fridge, for fried eggs, fried potatoes, and seasoning. Ya, do keep it in the fridge ! Yum flavoring.

And here all these years I've been cooking bacon everytime I needed a little bacon grease.
Sheesh :wacko: I'm not even a big fan of bacon by itself....

Back
Top Bottom