Bacon - It Keeps Getting Better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
So now they have added bacon to S'Mores. Along with a chocolate covered banana covered in bacon, a bacon hot dog. All this at The Big E. Massachusetts State Fair. There are so many bacon related dishes this year.

Does life get any better? :angel:

Everybody loves bacon. Not everyone is a fan of hot foods. :angel:

Besides folks that don't eat meat, there are quite a few that don't eat pork products and a few meat eaters that don't like bacon.:rolleyes:

Everybody loves bacon. Not everyone is a fan of hot foods. :angel:

Bacon has its place. But I prefer sausage, and if for breakfast, it has to be breakfast sausage, with sage and black pepper in it.

I also found out that belly bacon, if too meaty, can be as tough as jerky, and just as dry. Now I look for a ballance of fat and meat in my belly bacon. It's much easier to chew, even with all of my natural teeth. Poor DW couldn't eat that last batch of meaty bacon at all. That batch should have gone into a good legume soup, or some pork and beans.

Of course we have to remember that the BLT, properly made, is one of the finest sandwiches on the planet!:yum:

Always remember, there must be balance in all things, even bacon. Oh, and bacon bits, freshly made, are wonderful in butterscotch chip cookies.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

Oops! ...for me. Can't put pineapple with ham, etc. but then hubby says I'm weird. I can't stand sweet with bread ( i. e. pb&j) or salt/ butter on sweet. ( butter on banana bread). Makes me sick to my stomach. Can't imagine sweet stuff with bacon....***shiver up my spine***. Like I said, hubby who thinks veggies are poison thinks I'm wierd...

We live in a heavy pork-producing area which means that we are, almost, in bacon heaven. Our local available bacon is oh, soooooooo good.

However, having said that, one of the bacon-like products we enjoy is something called hog's jaw, which actually comes from the hog's jaw and it's wonderful. Sliced like bacon and cooked similarly, it's a great breakfast treat.

My husband used to raise hogs and tells me that they always had a plentiful supply of all things "piggie." Oh, man, does that sound lovely?!

...However, having said that, one of the bacon-like products we enjoy is something called hog's jaw, which actually comes from the hog's jaw and it's wonderful. Sliced like bacon and cooked similarly, it's a great breakfast treat...

In Italy it's called guanciale - cheek bacon. It's the first choice for carbonara.

Also, I keep seeing Andrew Zimmern (Bizarre Foods) touting the qualities of the meat in the cheeks.

Speaking of "cheeks", why is it I could find "cod cheeks" in OH but I can't find them in MA? They catch cod right off the shore! The only reason Cleveland doesn't have "Lake Erie Perch cheeks" is because they are a much smaller fish.

Here they sell smoked hog jowl, which is probably similar. I use it in baked beans, Spanish rice, etc. I've never tried slicing and frying it.

My mom loved side pork which is uncured bacon. I think it's kind of bland, and don't use it often. She said they sliced it and fried it for sandwiches, also.

Of course we have to remember that the BLT, properly made, is one of the finest sandwiches on the planet!:yum:

That's my alternate breakfast when I'm not having lox 'n bagel, cream cheese 'n onions!

Except I make BELT sandwiches: Bacon, (fried) egg, lettuce & tomato (lots of tomato!!!)... yep, on a bagel. :)

If I'm lazy I have the lox 'n bagel, if I feel industrious I have the BELT.

Back
Top Bottom