Bacon Wrapped Roasted Pork Loin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
Here's what I whipped up for dinner tonite. Sorry that my pics are a tad blurry, I don't have a tripod. It's basically just a 1/2 pork loin, trimmed up and seasoned with Montreal Seasoning. Then I wove a net from strips of bacon on top of a piece of tinfoil; this is so you can easily plunk the pork down in the center and use the foil to neatly wrap it up. It was tough to get a nice looking weave with the cheapo skinny bacon I had on hand but it worked okay. I tied it with a bit of butchers cord and roasted it to 134 degrees @ 350. When the temp inside hit 110 I cranked the oven up to 500 just to help crisp the bacon.

It was pretty tasty, too!:ROFLMAO::chef:

porkroast1.jpg

porkroast2.jpg

here's what i whipped up for dinner tonite. Sorry that my pics are a tad blurry, i don't have a tripod. It's basically just a 1/2 pork loin, trimmed up and seasoned with montreal seasoning. Then i wove a net from strips of bacon on top of a piece of tinfoil; this is so you can easily plunk the pork down in the center and use the foil to neatly wrap it up. It was tough to get a nice looking weave with the cheapo skinny bacon i had on hand but it worked okay. I tied it with a bit of butchers cord and roasted it to 134 degrees @ 350. When the temp inside hit 110 i cranked the oven up to 500 just to help crisp the bacon.

It was pretty tasty, too!:ROFLMAO::chef:
Beautiful!!

Last edited:
Kudos on the photos, Rob. Imitation, flattery, etc. -- looks like a candidate for a fab New Year's dish at this house, with a creamy horseradish sauce, mmmm.

Nicely done, Rob, great idea because pork loin is almost too lean a meat.

You've got me on a tangent of trying to come up with some sort of breakfast dish with a tic-tac-toe weave of bacon half-strips....

I must admit I didn't have anything with it.:LOL: I got home fairly late and wasn't starved enough to want to mess with anything else. I re-heated a couple slices in the Foreman grill this evening and just served it with some frozen California blend veggies dressed with a little butter and Spike seasoning.

I used maybe 20-25 pieces of bacon. The weave only took me five or six minutes, but hey- I'm a trained professional!:chef::ROFLMAO: You can do this proscuitto or panchetta as well. It really does help to do the weave on a sheet of plastic or foil so you can use it help wrap the meat. Also it keeps the bacon from sticking to the counter/cutting board.

BTW, to make it easy keep the size down to a height and width of one strip of bacon. Otherwise you have to kind of "splice" two pieces. I hope that makes sense. If you were going to wrap an entire loin this way it would be easiest to simply make two weaves.

This is also a very nice to way to make a beef tenderloin roast or Chateaubriand.

I like to take eight pieces of bacon, weave them together tightly, tuck in the floppy end pieces and fry it up. Both sides. Then use on a BLT or BAT sandwich. Makes sure I get my half pound of bacon in one sandwich!

I like to take eight pieces of bacon, weave them together tightly, tuck in the floppy end pieces and fry it up. Both sides. Then use on a BLT or BAT sandwich. Makes sure I get my half pound of bacon in one sandwich!

Sounds tasty! But I never fry bacon in a pan- I prefer to bake it in the oven. You get less mess and the bacon doesn't curl up at all. Plus, I can pour the bacon fat off into a container and save it to use in other dishes.

Sounds tasty! But I never fry bacon in a pan- I prefer to bake it in the oven. You get less mess and the bacon doesn't curl up at all. Plus, I can pour the bacon fat off into a container and save it to use in other dishes.

True, I save the oven method for a full sheet pan of bacon. I've never run out of bacon fat, have a couple of jars stashed in the freezer! My favorite sight is a convection oven with ten shelves and 20 sheet pans of bacon, cooking away. The aroma just slays me.

I miss working in the restaurant! But, not enough to give up my current job.

I wish I had a restaurant-type convection oven at home. It would be nice for lots of things.

No kidding! I was able to salvage or purchase some favorite tools, but the large appliances, no way.

I'm forever wandering into the restaurant supply house. The guy there says I'm the best non-restaurant customer he has and he'll order anything I would like. I'm looking at a 2 inch steam table pan with insert for draining my deep-fried foods...just don't know where I will store it.

Back
Top Bottom