Bad Pork Tenderloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marygio

Assistant Cook
I make pork tenderloin quite often for my family and friends, but today I opened a tenderloin and it smells almost like sulfur, even after I washed it. Would you use it anyway or throw it out.

Any help would be great!

Marygio

I would not use it. I would bring it back to the store I bought it from. They should take it back and refund your money.

Bring it back to the store you got it from and demand a refund. If they give you lip, start pacing frantically and making obscure threats and predictions.

I tossed it. I can't remember which store I got it from, usually it has the name of the store on the label, but this time it didn't.
Thanks for the help!

MG

Good decision MG! With meat, it is always better to be safe than sorry. Smell will usually be the most reliable thing to tell you if meat is bad.

Marygio - The same thing happened to me. My market carries pork tenderloin from a certain company. The last two times I bought it I had your same experience. The first time I threw it away. The second time, I was so angry, I brought it back to the store and they gladly refunded me my money. I no longer buy my pork tenderloin from that store - there is another brand carried at a store across town, I make the trip when I want it. Weird, huh?

One day I was picking up a package of Totino's Pizza Rolls (for the grandson) out of one of those big open deep freezes in our local store. I noticed the package had thawed, and when I checked out the others around it, they were also thawed. I found the manager and told him about it, and he said that the freezers were self-defrosting, and that just happened sometimes. He said it didn't hurt anything, that they were still good to buy. That in spite of the fact that it states clearly on the package not to re-freeze.
It's possible that your pork loins had been frozen, accidentally thawed, and then re-frozen. Or perhaps, somewhere in transport, the boxes weren't chilled properly, and some of the ones around the outside started to turn.
My daughter got terrible food poisoning from a chopped steak at a local restaurant once. We'd all had chopped steak, but her's apparently came from a different batch.

After working in the industry, I can tell you that not much attention is paid to the temperature of the food... or the expiration date... or whether it's properly cooked, in the case of pre-cooked products. In theory they do of course, but in reality... Ever wonder how fresh the free samples are? :sick:

biev said:
After working in the industry, I can tell you that not much attention is paid to the temperature of the food... or the expiration date... or whether it's properly cooked, in the case of pre-cooked products. In theory they do of course, but in reality... Ever wonder how fresh the free samples are? :sick:

Biev, which industry are you referring to? The food industry? Because at the Four Seasons, Hilton, Marriott, etc., we pay STRICT attention to everything you listed and we get audited by safety and sanitation inspectors 2-4 times a year.

:LOL: I'm talking about grocery stores and the places where you buy food in bulk. Sorry I should have clarified.

I should add that I've always paid attention to those things because I am a bit of a germophobe, but that would actually get me in trouble with my collegues, and it's not like they weren't aware - we all had to take a test about food safety. Part of it has to do with negligence on the employees side, but we also weren't provided with cooking thermometers... and on occasion, I have had to sell food products that were packaged badly, or hand out samples that were past the expiration date.

Last edited:
it sounds to me like they may have poured some preservative e.g. Sodium Bisulfat on it or something like that in order to keep it longer at the store. But then the original poster seemed to say it was still in the original factory package and not packed at the store. So I dunno.

A few years ago we had a local supermarket that the TV news show had done an expose on. They would take old ham and give it a wash in chlorox! Also would take old pork and put bbq sauce on it and sell that. Yuck! I hope they cleaned up their act....

I've had the problem, specifically with ground pork, which I used to buy for my annual tourtiere. I'd open it and P-U!! Into the trash. So after a number of years of having this problem off-and-on (in many places across the country), I decided to have the pork ground for me. Much to my shock, many places won't grind pork because it requires sanitizing their machines. All they will grind is beef, poultry and pork are brought in pre-ground. (yes, even small butchers). I now use Jimmy Dean in my tourtiere (and to be honest with you, my family likes it better! It's cheating, but you do what you have to!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom