baking ham ahead help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newtsry

Assistant Cook
Hi all

I am having a party on a Sunday afternoon, but I will have no time Sat. or Sunday to cook ham.
Question is if I bake it on Friday and slice it up will it still be okay and taste fresh on Sunday aft?
Also what would be the best way to store it until Sunday?
Thanks in advance.

i'm no expert, but here's my 2 cents.

it's ok to bake ahead, but i wouldn't slice it until sunday, when you're ready to reheat it. it will dry out a little if sliced too early. after the ham has cooled enough to handle, wrap it in plastic wrap, then foil, and put it on a plate in the fridge.

to reheat, i would put the slices in a pot or deep skillet with just a little water, cover and reheat on medium low. don't use too much water, tho. you're not braising it, just kinda adding a tiny bit of moisture to help conduct heat and keep the ham from browning.

I forgot to mention I am planning on serving the ham slices cold, they are for the cold meat platter and cheese and buns.

oh, sorry. i would still wrap it and wait to slice it tho.

a trick you may want to try with a few slices to see if anyone likes it is to thin out some honey, or make a thin sugar and water syrup, and very lightly spritz the ham as you slice it. i like the little bit of extra sweetness, especially if the ham is on the salty side.

I'm assuming you're using a precooked ham? Sure you can bake it beforehand, all you're essentially doing is warming it up and putting whatever glaze you like on it. I personally wouldn't slice it til the 'day of', but if you absolutely don't have the time, go ahead and slice it and arrange on your platter. Take some - very - slightly dampened paper towels and place them over the top of the ham, then cover with saran wrap. Should be fine. I'd wait to put any garnishes on the platter til last minute, tho.

Back
Top Bottom