"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
Master Chef

take the one you like most.. there are no "rules" as to what to put on your currywurst..
but I must admit, I've never ever seen green Curry powder

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Here a couple of pix..

perhaps I'm going color blind. The second one I've always called Green!

I use this Red curry powder for Thai soups with Coconut milk..

The Green (Yellow) I haven't used since my Hippy Days back in the '70's..

Eric, Austin Tx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	11714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Curry-Powder_COB_Shadow.png
Views:	146
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	11715  

Old 08-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
Master Chef

I sometimes make the currypowder by myself... but thats not the right thing for a currywurst, I must admit
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
I think the best thing to go with a currywurst is french fries... just my 2 cent...
and I never ever have Mayo with the fries..

Tim,
did I read it right, you boiled the wurst? I've never ever seen boiled Currywust, normally they are fried..
Just had one in the Biergarten on Thursday, and I must admit, it was horrible, don't think I'll ever have Currywurst there again..

If you ever come to Frankfurt/Main go and see if you find "Best Worscht in Town", they are said to have G's best Currywurst, I don't know, haven't been in FFM for ages..
No, that recipe is one I dug up for pacanis, who needed measurements for each part. I tried boiling the wurst once and didn't care for it that way. It tasted "washed out". Grilling is much better for wurst IMO!

I'd love to return to Germany for a long visit. I plan a month there in the next year or two. When I was in Berlin, the wall was still up. I'd love to see the city now with the two sides joined. I worked as an Embassy Guard at the Allied Control Authority building in Berlin. It was a great job and right in the middle of the city.

If I go through Frankfurt/Main, I'll sure look up that place! Thanks! The last time I was in Frankfurt/Main was to pick up someone and return to Berlin. I didn't get a single minute to look around. What a drag!

Haha, send me some in a box!
Old 08-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
Here a couple of pix..

perhaps I'm going color blind. The second one I've always called Green!

I use this Red curry powder for Thai soups with Coconut milk..

The Green (Yellow) I haven't used since my Hippy Days back in the '70's..

Eric, Austin Tx.
You may see colors differently than other people. One of my sisters is like that. Yellow looks the same as light green to her.

You might want to try that green/yellow curry in some rice. It's wonderful that way. I love it when I make a rice/sausage type curried gumbo.

The only type of curry I like on wurst is the red "hot" curries. There must be a thousand mixes of curry powder in India alone. I have all the parts, but I usually get lazy and use the prepared curry powders.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
Master Chef

Berlin has changed a lot, not only for good...
But come and see yourself, it is worth it!
Take your time and see more of this beautiful country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post

I'd love to return to Germany for a long visit. I plan a month there in the next year or two. When I was in Berlin, the wall was still up. I'd love to see the city now with the two sides joined. I worked as an Embassy Guard at the Allied Control Authority building in Berlin. It was a great job and right in the middle of the city.

If I go through Frankfurt/Main, I'll sure look up that place! Thanks! The last time I was in Frankfurt/Main was to pick up someone and return to Berlin. I didn't get a single minute to look around. What a drag!

Haha, send me some in a box!
Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
Berlin has changed a lot, not only for good...
But come and see yourself, it is worth it!
Take your time and see more of this beautiful country!
Yes, my friends in Berlin tell me that the joining of the "Berlins" has quite a negative effect on the local economy and jobs. With the wage differences that were in effect on the two sides, I can only imagine.

Germany is indeed a wonderful country. Beautiful land, wonderful people and awesome foods! I enjoyed my entire stay there. I wasn't able to leave Berlin much during the three years, but I sure got to see a lot *in* Berlin!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Back to the recipe though..

which of the two pictured Curry Powders, would you use?

I can get Bratwurst here, don't know about Knockwurst..

The Nascar Race is tommorrow!

I think I'll buy frozen French Fries, but make them in the deep fryer..

I'll serve with Chipotle mayo!

Thanks, Eric.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #19
Master Chef

take the spice Island.

Bratwurst is no problem, then it's a Bratcurry

Tags
pork, recipe, veal

Berliner Currywurst [B][U][SIZE=3]Curry Sauce[/SIZE][/U][/B] Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, cook the onion until soft about 8 to 10 minutes. Add curry powder and paprika, cook for 1 minute more. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato ketchup. Add sugar, red wine vinegar and salt; stir well. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened about 25 minutes. Purée sauce in a blender or food processor until smooth. Serve hot over sausage. Makes 1 1/2 cups. [B][U][SIZE=3]Knackwurst Preparation[/SIZE][/U][/B] First, buy only the short, plump, pork/veal type Knackwurst. The package ingredients should include Pork, Veal and Garlic. With Knackwurst, you get what you pay for mostly, so buy the best. Then, cook it over direct heat until the casing has ballooned and looks as though it will explode. It should have little burned spots on it from the heat and the casing should be crisp. [B][U][SIZE=3]Serving[/SIZE][/U][/B] Put one or two sausages on each plate and cut them on the diagonal into one bite pieces. Let the slices relax, but stay put in a row with gaps between each slice. Ladle the sauce over the sections and then sprinkle curry powder and hot paprika over it as a thorough dusting. Serve with potato salad and fries. In Germany, fries are served with mayo, not ketchup and their potato salad had more vinegar in it then American potato salad does. The potatoes are also not cooked as much and still have a firmness to them when eating. Eat well! 3 stars 1 reviews