Best pork loin roast I've ever fixed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Boneless pork loin is such a nice lean meat, and such a good buy here in Heartland farm country, that I buy it whenever it's on sale (often $1.99 a lb. or less). I've cooked it all sorts of ways, some better than others, but last night's was the best of the best...so tender you could cut it with a fork, and so juicy it melted in the mouth.

I poured enough olive oil in a roasting pan to cover the bottom, and placed the 4 lb. roast in the pan, rolling to coat it with the oil. I then rubbed the meat with about 1/2 packet of dry onion soup mix (be sure to shake it up to mix the seasonings), and a good amount of restaurant grind black pepper. I placed it, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for about an hour.
In the meantime, I sliced a few Yukon Gold potatoes into wedges, placed in a bowl with baby carrots and frozen brussels sprouts, and tossed with olive oil, pepper and the remainder of the onion soup mix.
I then added the vegetables to the roast, poured a can of chicken broth in the bottom of the pan, covered with foil and cooked about 45 more minutes, until vegies were tender. If you like your brussels sprouts less done (I like them a little soft), you may want to wait until the last 20 minutes or so to add them.
After taking the roast out of the oven, I let it stand, tented with foil, for 15 minutes before slicing.
I served the broth out of the pan on the side to ladle over the vegies and meat after plating.

I know this doesn't sound like rocket science, but the results were so outstanding, I wanted to share with you.

Last edited:
Constance, this sounds like something my family would love - I wouldn't change a thing! Thank you so much!
Question - what was the size of the chicken broth? Regular soup-can size (what is that, 10 oz?) or the larger size?

I've had the potatoes made with onion soup mix, and they are delicious. Adding a pork loin to the mix sounds like an awesome one dish meal!

Visit me at: <link removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some really good pork loin roasts in my freezer now. I will have to try this. Last week I wanted to fix one but didn't have much to go with it. I love apple sauce with it but didn't have any. I remembered reading somewhere (I think at DC) about using grape jelly in meatball recipes, so I thought I would try something I had never done before. I coated the roast with a thick coating of grape jam and baked it as usual. It was fantastic! The meat absolutely melted in our mouths. I was always reluctant to try what I considered weird things before, but all my friends at DC have made me more adventurous in the kitchen!

:) Barbara

Going to the store in the morning and will have to get me a boneless pork lion. Your recipe sounds great. I love to make everything in one pan.:)

Once you make this, you will never doubt the goodness of braising a pork loin.
I either braise it or make pork kebabs.

Braised Pork Loin with Apples and Onions
Serves 4
2 lbs center cut pork loin,
1/2 tsp ground sage or poultry seasoning (I used poultry seasoning
2 large sweet yellow onions (Vidalia, 1015, etc) thinly sliced
1 cup of dried apple slices, halved (1 cups chicken stock
1 large can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4" to 1/2" thick
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees; liberally salt, ground pepper, and sage or poultry seasoning the roast; Heat a large on high heat.; (I used a Le Creuset pan, which worked quite well.); When hot, add the oil and brown the pork loin in the oil, all over,; Remove set aside; Reduce heat to medium
Add onions to the pot and cook them, stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize and turn brown, about 8 minutes; Add the dried apples, chicken stock, and apple juice concentrate to the onions in the pot and stir;
Return the roast to the pan, cover and cook for 2 hours. (I put a piece of parchment paper in contact with the roast and liquid in the pan, and then cover). If the juices seem to be too much, remove the roast and concentrate by simmering.
Serve with new potatoes, steamed and quartered.

I made your pork roast recipe tonight Constance and it was delicious. Tried to send you karma but have to spread more around.

this sounds really good - I usually dont have good results with boneless pork roast, but I'm going to try this one - thanks for posting it!

Back
Top Bottom