"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Old 10-16-2006, 11:32 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
Use SO little nutmeg that it is not discernible, in my opinion. It is a "hint"--what is that sort of thing.
Rosemary and sage.
Onions with the soup.
But what/how are you cooking it?
I'd brown it very well on all sides. Put in a heavy pan (le Creuset) on a bed of onions. Pour the soup over along with some stock. Add 1/4C marsala or such. Sprinkle with the herbs.
Cover and roast @300* for 2+ hours (it needs to come up to temp and then cook).

Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #12
Master Chef
Today, I tried out the crockpot pork recipe I posted previously in this thread, with a couple of changes. I knew for sure I had some honey, but I couldn't find it, so I substituted brown sugar. I had a little "spill" with the soy sauce, getting about double the 2 tbls the recipe called for. It didn't make the cooking liquid too salty, but I thought it tasted a little too "soy", so I added a little more orange juice, sugar and catsup to round it out. If it ends up being to strong, I'll add a little chicken broth or water before I thicken the juices with cornstarch.
I quartered a large sweet potato, and cooked that along side the pork loin. All those slices need are a pat of butter and a fork.
Everything is out of the crockpot and standing now.
For another side dish, I have some lovely fresh snow peas that I think I'll add to a boxed rice mix along with some canned chinese vegetables. Then we can spoon the sauce on the sliced pork and the rice.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:03 PM   #13
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Lose the canned soup. That is SO Sandra Lee! Try this instead. You'll never regret it.

Caine's Chinese Dragon

3 to 5 pound boneless pork loin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper

1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbs tomato paste

1 Tbs Chili Garlic sauce
2 Tbs rice vinegar
2 Tbs firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tbs grated ginger
2 tsp five-spice powder

1 small green mango
1/3 cup crushed pineapple
2 tsp lemon juice
2 Tbs Pineapple vinegar
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1/2 small red bell pepper, julienned
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup chopped dry roasted unsalted peanuts

1. Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, tomato paste, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, and five-spice in a medium saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; allow marinade to cool.

2. Trim excess fat from loin, season with salt and pepper. Then place in a large plastic bag. When marinade has cooled, pour into plastic bag, squeeze out any excess air, and close with a twist tie. Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour (preferably overnight), refrigerated.

3. Preheat oven to 350F. Place the loin on a rack in a shallow roasting pan and cook for 20 to 30 minutes per pound, or until internal temperature is 160F. Allow loin to rest for 10 to 15 minutes, covered with foil, before slicing.

Slice thin and serve garnished with mango, pineapple, scallions, bell pepper, and peanuts.

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote