"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Brined and grilled as Andy mentioned, or I really like breaded and baked like a Shake-n-Bake for thick boneless chops.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I hate to admit I'm not a fan of boneless chops, or really any chops but I'm cooking for others here. They like chops.

I think I've made the same mistake on my chicken breasts as I do on chops, I cook them until they 'look' good, but they get dry and over cooked. Now I often poach my chicken and measure the internal temperature to be sure it is done. Take it out and cool it immediately. I cut it up and add it to a casserole and it still stays nice and moist. It just isn't browned at all.

With chops, I want them to look a little browned on the outside. So first, tonight I'll brine them, then tomorrow, dry them well and get them to room temperature. Heat up the big double bottom pan with oil and butter, then quickly brown the outside of first side and measure the internal temp with a thermometer while browning the outside of the second side. Does that sound like a good plan?
I'll be serving them with sauerkraut and some leftovers (beans and spiced rice).

I need them to turn out 'delicious' because if they don't like them, then I'm stuck eating the chops and I'm not a fan of them.
I agree with Bliss, I never buy boneless pork chops, and rarely buy any boneless pork cut. For pork roast, I usually cook bone in shoulder roasts. I will occasionally buy a boneless pork tenderloin roast to marinate and grill.

I prefer the way that bone in meats cook, that includes chicken. I don't buy boneless breasts, only split breasts with bone and skin attached. If I actually need boneless, it's a matter of a minute or less to "filet" one, and then I have more scraps to add to the bag that I keep in the freezer for making stock.

I do occasionally buy boneless thighs for sautéing or stir fry, because it's takes a technique I haven't perfected yet to bone thighs without making a mess of it.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Well, these boneless chops turned out good. Browned a little on both sides. I added 2 cups of broth with garlic and thyme, let them swim on low for 15 minutes. Cooked up some kennebec potatoes, added a little sauerkraut and applesauce on the side. They turned out very good. I was even surprised that I liked them well enough.

For the guys 'dinners' they take to work, I put the potatoes on the bottom, some of the herbed broth, cubed up bite sized pieces of chops, made some room on the side of the container for the applesauce.

Tags
cook, pork, pork loin