Black forest ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
velochic said:
I dunno, norgeskog, I live in Munich and it seems like the Black Forest Ham that we eat here (obviously authentic) and the one we get from our gourmet "charcuterie" back in the States when we are visiting are remarkably similar. If the smoking is done properly, I can tell little difference. I think the main difference is that everything is SO fresh here and they use no preservatives, so maybe if the company that is curing the meat uses something in addition to smoking to preserve the meat, the taste will be different. Dunno... last time I was in the States was 2 months ago. ;) I was amazed at how CHEMICAL everything tasted. Everything here is just so FRESH, from scratch.

Edited to add: I agree with norgeskog that the stuff you get pre-packaged or from large chain grocery store delis is NOT anything like Black Forest Ham. Try going to a gourmet deli - from what I've heard, some even do the curing/smoking themselves. The BFH that we get in the US that tastes so authentic is from such a deli.

I think one of the major problems here is that so many chemicals are used. It has been 30 years since I was in Munich (BTW loved the center where the clocks chime and the little statues run thru, still there??) so maybe I have forgotten. I have purchased Black Forest Ham at a specialized deli, but not here in Eugene, have not found one. However, I do like what I get at Trader Joe's. All of the packaged ham has an ominous statement 'water added.' Obviously that is not for our benefit, it just weighs more. The West Virginia hams are wonderful, but it is hard to find them unless you travel there. Ah well, the next time I visit family in Norway I can get very good ham there. The chemical and unidentifable contents in packaged food is why I cook everything from scratch unless there are less than 5 ingredients...

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS Saturday we play Idaho and we have a 34 point advantage....cant think of that....I will be there rooting with 60,000 other Eugeneians.

marmalady said:
Mudbug, LOL - the image of a bunch of hunters sitting around a campfire eating cheesecake, is too funny! :LOL:

LMJ - :)

well these guys aren't the campfire types actually. we serve them under a big pavilion with white tablecloths, china, flatware, wine [with goblets], chafing dishes. my guys and me wear our chef's coats and generally treat them like royalty [they're used to it, anyway]. we have wild game hors d'ouvres every night [dove, blackbuck antelope, wild turkey, axis deer, teal, quail soon, etc.]. we serve an early breakfast [for the guys who go for the pre-dawn hunt] and a late breakfast for the guys that sleep in. one of the favorite things is a 'fruit bar' that i thought up. instead of making elaborate fruit trays with pre-cut fruit, we just peel, cut and serve at the end of the salad line for them ['the mangoes are particularly sweet tonight, sir...may i serve you one?' or 'would you like me to peel a kiwi for you?...or [my favorite] 'would you like that avocado served sliced or scooped out in one piece?' we can peel, quarter, and slice a fresh pineapple in less than 30 seconds [it's all in the knife you know.]

this is a great gig...tremendous for the ego.

So you're Norweigian, norgeskog! Cool! I've been to Oslo once, not long ago! Well, the airport, anyway. ;) On my way from the States to Copenhagen - plane was diverted there. Had some breakfast in the airport, which was this great combination of cheese and DELICIOUS HAM on a sandwich roll. I remember thinking that it was the best ham and cheese I'd ever tasted. I wish I could reproduce it here in Munich, but I can't seem to find the right cheese. They said it was "old" cheese - maybe you know what I'm talking about and can help me figure out the kind of cheese it was? Thought maybe it's something of a "national" dish? I'm probably wrong.

Oh, I miss Trader Joes back home. They really do have some quality products there.

Yep, the Glockenspiel is still chiming away at 11am, 12pm and 5pm at the top of the Rathaus every day. I don't go into the Marienplatz (where it is) very often and I'd heard that they were just refurbishing it, getting it ready for Oktoberfest (which is going on right now). Lot and lots of beer drinking tourists here right now. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom