Boiling ribs, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oppose

Cook
hi im boiling a rack right now, i believe of baby back. its been boiling for an hour. how much longer should i boil it before putting it in the oven and for how long n what temp? plz help im hungry!

Ribs or any other meat should never be boiled. Take them out of the boiling liquid now!. Water boils at 212' F. Water is a pretty good conductor of heat and will transfer it's heat to the meat very quickly. When the meat reaches 160, it's cooked through. Heat it much more than that and the liquid stored in the muscle tissue begins to leave the meat, giving you tough, dry ribs. Put your ribs into an oven proof casserole dish, with a lid. Add some of the liquid from the pot you were boiling them in into the new pot unti lyou have about two inch deep liqujid. Cover teh ribs with a tent of aluminum foil and place into a 190' Oven and let cook for another hour. Remove the tent and brush your favorite sauce over the ribs. Let cook for 15 minutes more.

Remove the ribs from the cooking pan to a platter and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I have actually had success boiling ribs, but those were the kind that were smoked and they kind of had a "backing layer" or some sort of tough skin on one side of them. These were short ribs, I believe. Maybe someone else knows this type. They did not do too well on the grill w/o the boiling as that tough layer on the back sort of got brittle or just chewy...

My dad used to get them for me so I dont know if they are still around or not, they were different from the stuff I see in supermarkets. So I can understand this person boiling the pork first..

With that said, I'd boil on low heat for 30-45 min. No more than that. THis sort of loosed up that tough stuff and made them fairly soft for the baking process.

Based on the other thread, I think we should have a gladiator like contest to see which technique rules the arena.

Taking everyone descriptions into account, the boilers will be less flavorful and more saucy and the slow cookers will be more tender but their meat will fall off their bones.

ok, as much as it pains me to be serious for a second...

IF you are going to boil your ribs (slow cookers get your hands OFF the keyboard!) then you need to be taught how so it will have minimum impact on flavor.

Lets start with the liquid. I use a combination of broth, bourbon and tabasco. This combo actually brings a lot of flavor to the meat. I do not put my ribs into boiling water, instead I start the whole batch off cold (liquid and meat) and bring it up to a boil (heavy simmer) on the stove. I then shift the ribs around in the pot and examine them to make sure they are getting evenly poached. I then turn off the heat and remove the ribs to arrest cooking. I then transfer to an already hot charcoal grill and sear both sides. I then sauce both sides several flips as I like a little burnt sugar with my sauce.

Then I put a little wet washcloth next to my feeding troff (sp) and I go to town.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom