"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 12-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I agree, Addie. When I buy a big slab o' meat, I prefer to cut it up myself. One of the local grocery stores that prides itself for its meat, offers to cut and trim it for free. I did that once, and asked for the trimmings, they wouldn't give them to me. Plus they weighed and charged the full price of the meat pre-trimmed. I learned quickly.
That is when you put the trimmed piece back in the meat counter and get another one to trim yourself. What really ticks me off is that those trimmings that they refused to give back to you go into a bucket that he sells to a rendering company. So they are getting paid twice. Having been married to a pro chef, has it benefits. Hopefully I have passed on this information on to my children.

With all the information that is now available to us via the internet, there is no reason we should be getting ripped off.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

That is when you put the trimmed piece back in the meat counter and get another one to trim yourself. What really ticks me off is that those trimmings that they refused to give back to you go into a bucket that he sells to a rendering company. So they are getting paid twice. Having been married to a pro chef, has it benefits. Hopefully I have passed on this information on to my children.

With all the information that is now available to us via the internet, there is no reason we should be getting ripped off.
Interesting, isn't it. Sort of a scam.

The butchers really shake their heads at me as I walk off with my full slab

Old 12-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Interesting, isn't it. Sort of a scam.

The butchers really shake their heads at me as I walk off with my full slab
You never see good restaurants buy pre-trimmed or ground meats. They make sure they hire a chef that knows how to trim out their meat.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Costco has them ready to roast. All you need are the little white hats for the bone tips.
Price is under $3.00 a LB.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Costco has them ready to roast. All you need are the little white hats for the bone tips.
Price is under $3.00 a LB.
Those little white hats are called "stockings." Easy to make yourself. A great project for the kids. A lot of butchers include them in your purchase, free. Good PR.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If the cost per pound includes the chine bone, they need to reweigh it without the bone or return that bone to you once it has been removed along with the roast. Make a note of the cost of the full roast before they cut it and then see what the cost is after it is removed. You can roast the chine bone along with your roast and let the kids pick off the meat or do it your self and place the bits and pieces in your gravy like you would the giblets of a turkey. There is a lot of flavor in that chine bone.
Here we'd pay the pre-boned price if we had it boned but could take the bone if we wanted it. No questions or arguments from the butcher (especially now that the legal requirements for the disposal of food waste is so expensive for businesses - yes, they have to PAY the renderers to take away the bones, etc., over here, according to my butcher!)
Old 01-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Here we'd pay the pre-boned price if we had it boned but could take the bone if we wanted it. No questions or arguments from the butcher (especially now that the legal requirements for the disposal of food waste is so expensive for businesses - yes, they have to PAY the renderers to take away the bones, etc., over here, according to my butcher!)
That is the custom where I live in central New York State. The butchers in most of the local super markets and butcher shops seem flattered if you ask them for some additional information or service, no extra charge. I think they enjoy a chance to show off a little!

The choices are becoming more limited now that the butchers do not use sides of beef. Most stores use vacuum packed subprimal cuts. No more scraps and odd bits! I guess they all go straight into the hot dog hopper.

We do have a couple large markets that do not employ butchers anymore. The meat is prepackaged and priced in a factory miles away, that is a sad and disturbing trend. No bones, no fat, no custom cuts!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:51 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Crankin, How did your pork roast turn out? And how did you fix it to serve for New Years dinner.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Maybe it is just me, but I enjoy doing my own meat. Whether it is Frenching the bones of a pork roast, or beef rib, chicken legs, etc. The more you do it, the better you become at doing it. After doing it for 50 years, I have become really good at it. Aside from the three necessary knives, I also have a flexible boning knife. It makes the job go so much quicker and right down to the bone. Less waste. Don't be afraid to try doing it yourself and learning a new skill.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
That is the custom where I live in central New York State. The butchers in most of the local super markets and butcher shops seem flattered if you ask them for some additional information or service, no extra charge. I think they enjoy a chance to show off a little!

The choices are becoming more limited now that the butchers do not use sides of beef. Most stores use vacuum packed subprimal cuts. No more scraps and odd bits! I guess they all go straight into the hot dog hopper.

We do have a couple large markets that do not employ butchers anymore. The meat is prepackaged and priced in a factory miles away, that is a sad and disturbing trend. No bones, no fat, no custom cuts!
As far as I know the only supermarket in my area which employs a proper butcher on site to cut to order is Morrisons. Sainsburys used to but not anymore. As you say, the meat all arrives pre-cut and packed. I'm lucky as there are two very good independent butchers in the village.

Tags
pork, roast