Bone-in pork roast: chine bone vs. back bone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
For New Year's this year, I want to make a bone-in pork rib roast, and I'd like to carve it bone-in into chops. From what I've read, the removal of the chinebone is necessary for this. However, I also came across one recipe that stated "chine bone removed and backbone cracked." I'm not sure what exactly this means and is it necessary? If I go to the meat counter and ask that, will they know what I mean?

And is there anything else I should take into consideration? Just wondering... because last year I tried a bone-in pork roast and wasn't aware of the chinebone, so didn't specify anything, and I had to just remove the meat from the bones after roasting in order to carve. So I'd like to make sure I get it right this time.

If the cost per pound includes the chine bone, they need to reweigh it without the bone or return that bone to you once it has been removed along with the roast. Make a note of the cost of the full roast before they cut it and then see what the cost is after it is removed. You can roast the chine bone along with your roast and let the kids pick off the meat or do it your self and place the bits and pieces in your gravy like you would the giblets of a turkey. There is a lot of flavor in that chine bone. :angel:

Understand your confusion crankin.

When you are talking about bones, terms vary between anatomists and butchers. Also there are common terms. What Gray's anatomy refers to as the vertebral body your butcher calls the chine bone (it's the round, disc like bone). Similarly there are spinous and tranverse processes that the trade refers to as feather and finger bones (these are flat bones). And the term backbone generally refers to the whole spine or maybe the individual vertebrae. Yipes!

Fortunately you don't need to know all that stuff to get what you want

Tell the butcher (have found those at the supermarkets to be very helpful) what you want to do with the cut of meat and he will do his magic so you can easily cut the roast into chops after cooking with a knife. It truly is as easy as that.

In my experience butchers in supermarkets are great and will go out of their way to get what you want even if it requires special ordering (which in your case it will not).

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately for the consumer, in a large chain supermarket, every extra cut is added into the cost of labor in the price per pound.

If you have a pork roast with the chine bone at $1.00 per pound and you want the chine bone removed, the cost goes up to $1.05 per pound. And the butcher keep the chine bone. (Sneaky) You now want the bones Frenched and the cost goes up to $1.10 p.p. Want them also cut into individual chops? $1.15 p.p.

I have a local butcher with a small shop. Their margin of profit is even smaller than the chain store. But on the whole they are pretty good about not adding those extra charges for additional services. The quality of their meat is really good and you have to stand in line to get a piece of meat that you ordered over the phone for a holiday meal. They offer services that the chain stores don't. And they don't nickel and dime you. :angel:

This guy gives a nice demonstration of preparing a pork roast for roasting and carving. You don't need to go to a full crown roast just stop after you french the ribs and roast it as a candle roast. Save all of those scraps and bones, they are great roasted with a pound of sauerkraut!

How to cut a pork crown rib roast - YouTube

Last edited:
This guy gives a nice demonstration of preparing a pork roast for roasting and carving. You don't need to go to a full crown roast just stop after you french the ribs and roast it as a candle roast. Save all of those scraps and bones, they are great roasted with a pound of sauerkraut!

How to cut a pork crown rib roast - YouTube

I want all that meat and bones he trimmed off. Great gravy making. Also, if you grind the pieces of meat, mix with a stuffing mix and tie two crown roasts together, you put the stuffing in the middle. Now you have a great presentation. :angel:

I want all that meat and bones he trimmed off. Great gravy making. Also, if you grind the pieces of meat, mix with a stuffing mix and tie two crown roasts together, you put the stuffing in the middle. Now you have a great presentation. :angel:

I agree, Addie. When I buy a big slab o' meat, I prefer to cut it up myself. One of the local grocery stores that prides itself for its meat, offers to cut and trim it for free. I did that once, and asked for the trimmings, they wouldn't give them to me. Plus they weighed and charged the full price of the meat pre-trimmed. I learned quickly.

I agree, Addie. When I buy a big slab o' meat, I prefer to cut it up myself. One of the local grocery stores that prides itself for its meat, offers to cut and trim it for free. I did that once, and asked for the trimmings, they wouldn't give them to me. Plus they weighed and charged the full price of the meat pre-trimmed. I learned quickly.

By charging you for the pre-trimmed weight, they are getting a little extra for doing the trimming. It's a cost of doing business.

The practice may be different at a local butcher shop but they probably already charge more per pound than the supermarket.

By charging you for the pre-trimmed weight, they are getting a little extra for doing the trimming. It's a cost of doing business.

The practice may be different at a local butcher shop but they probably already charge more per pound than the supermarket.

Good point, Andy.

I do find it relaxing to cut up my own steaks, chops, and roasts. And the trimmings, fat and bones are all mine!

That is when you put the trimmed piece back in the meat counter and get another one to trim yourself. What really ticks me off is that those trimmings that they refused to give back to you go into a bucket that he sells to a rendering company. So they are getting paid twice. Having been married to a pro chef, has it benefits. Hopefully I have passed on this information on to my children.

With all the information that is now available to us via the internet, there is no reason we should be getting ripped off. :angel:

That is when you put the trimmed piece back in the meat counter and get another one to trim yourself. What really ticks me off is that those trimmings that they refused to give back to you go into a bucket that he sells to a rendering company. So they are getting paid twice. Having been married to a pro chef, has it benefits. Hopefully I have passed on this information on to my children.

With all the information that is now available to us via the internet, there is no reason we should be getting ripped off. :angel:

Interesting, isn't it. Sort of a scam.

The butchers really shake their heads at me as I walk off with my full slab :LOL:

Interesting, isn't it. Sort of a scam.

The butchers really shake their heads at me as I walk off with my full slab :LOL:

You never see good restaurants buy pre-trimmed or ground meats. They make sure they hire a chef that knows how to trim out their meat. :angel:

Costco has them ready to roast. All you need are the little white hats for the bone tips.
Price is under $3.00 a LB.

Costco has them ready to roast. All you need are the little white hats for the bone tips.
Price is under $3.00 a LB.

Those little white hats are called "stockings." Easy to make yourself. A great project for the kids. A lot of butchers include them in your purchase, free. Good PR.

If the cost per pound includes the chine bone, they need to reweigh it without the bone or return that bone to you once it has been removed along with the roast. Make a note of the cost of the full roast before they cut it and then see what the cost is after it is removed. You can roast the chine bone along with your roast and let the kids pick off the meat or do it your self and place the bits and pieces in your gravy like you would the giblets of a turkey. There is a lot of flavor in that chine bone. :angel:
Here we'd pay the pre-boned price if we had it boned but could take the bone if we wanted it. No questions or arguments from the butcher (especially now that the legal requirements for the disposal of food waste is so expensive for businesses - yes, they have to PAY the renderers to take away the bones, etc., over here, according to my butcher!)

Last edited:
Here we'd pay the pre-boned price if we had it boned but could take the bone if we wanted it. No questions or arguments from the butcher (especially now that the legal requirements for the disposal of food waste is so expensive for businesses - yes, they have to PAY the renderers to take away the bones, etc., over here, according to my butcher!)

That is the custom where I live in central New York State. The butchers in most of the local super markets and butcher shops seem flattered if you ask them for some additional information or service, no extra charge. I think they enjoy a chance to show off a little! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The choices are becoming more limited now that the butchers do not use sides of beef. Most stores use vacuum packed subprimal cuts. No more scraps and odd bits! I guess they all go straight into the hot dog hopper.

We do have a couple large markets that do not employ butchers anymore. The meat is prepackaged and priced in a factory miles away, that is a sad and disturbing trend. No bones, no fat, no custom cuts!

Last edited:
Maybe it is just me, but I enjoy doing my own meat. Whether it is Frenching the bones of a pork roast, or beef rib, chicken legs, etc. The more you do it, the better you become at doing it. After doing it for 50 years, I have become really good at it. Aside from the three necessary knives, I also have a flexible boning knife. It makes the job go so much quicker and right down to the bone. Less waste. Don't be afraid to try doing it yourself and learning a new skill. :angel:

That is the custom where I live in central New York State. The butchers in most of the local super markets and butcher shops seem flattered if you ask them for some additional information or service, no extra charge. I think they enjoy a chance to show off a little! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The choices are becoming more limited now that the butchers do not use sides of beef. Most stores use vacuum packed subprimal cuts. No more scraps and odd bits! I guess they all go straight into the hot dog hopper.

We do have a couple large markets that do not employ butchers anymore. The meat is prepackaged and priced in a factory miles away, that is a sad and disturbing trend. No bones, no fat, no custom cuts!
As far as I know the only supermarket in my area which employs a proper butcher on site to cut to order is Morrisons. Sainsburys used to but not anymore. As you say, the meat all arrives pre-cut and packed. I'm lucky as there are two very good independent butchers in the village.

Back
Top Bottom