Bone-In vs Boneless Pork Chops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
Hi All,

For Christmas Eve dinner I am making stuffed pork chops for 5 people. I have not done these before but found a reliable recipe that I think will work.

This recipe calls for 4 bone-in chops. I want to use boneless. Is there anything I need to change here? I have never cooked bone-in chops and have only done boneless twice. In fact, I don't eat much meat on my own so am generally not as comfortable with it...

Here are the cooking instructions:

5. TO STUFF AND COOK THE CHOPS: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, place rimmed baking sheet or shallow roasting pan on rack, and heat oven to 450 degrees. Remove chops from brine and rinse under cool running water; pat dry with paper towels. Place one-quarter of stuffing in pocket of each chop. Trim reserved lemon wedges from stuffing recipe to 2-inch lengths; insert one lemon wedge into each pocket to contain stuffing. Sprinkle chops with salt and pepper.
6. Heat oil in heavy-bottomed 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just beginning to smoke. Arrange chops in skillet and cook without moving chops until well browned, about 3 minutes. Using tongs, flip chops and cook until well browned on second side, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
7. Using tongs, transfer chops to preheated pan in oven; cook until instant-read thermometer inserted into center of stuffing registers 135 degrees, 15 to 20 minutes, flipping chops halfway through cooking time. Transfer chops to platter, tent loosely with foil, and let rest 10 minutes (internal temperature will climb to 145 degrees). Serve immediately.

Any thoughts? Tips?

Thank you!

I use boneless all the time. They cook more evenly. You can follow the recipe the same way. Make the cut for the stuffing pocket on the edge where the bone used to be, not the edge with the fat.

Tip: When making the cut. Keep the opening size small and just put the knife in at different angles to make the pocket bigger inside.

I only and always use bone in. I think they have way more flavor than boneless. and they're just as easy.

Sounds delicious. What time is dinner? ;)

I use both types of chops but prefer bone-in because they end up more tender and flavorful. The only adjustment I can think of is that maybe you wouldn't have to bake them as long using boneless.

I used only boneless for years. Switched to bone in a while back. I agree that the bone in seem to have more flavor.

The only recommendation I would have is go get thick chops for stuffing. At least an inch, more is better.

I agree that bone in is more flavourful. But boneless can be easier to work with. Andy gave some excellent tips. Snickerdoodle made a good point that they may cook a little quicker, so check the temperature sooner.

Let us know how it turns out.

Bone in is usually cheaper as well as tastier. You can always sandwich the stuffing between two thin chops and grill them like you would any grilled sandwich.

Jeni, glad to see you are brineing them first. Regardless of bone in or bone out, they should always be brined. Today's pork chops from skinny pigs lack the flavor and juice in years gone by, so it's a very important step for good results.

Remove chops from brine

Thanks everyone, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! I will take a look and see what chops are available. If the bone in look thicker/better then I will get those as long as they aren't too expensive.

Bone in is usually cheaper as well as tastier. You can always sandwich the stuffing between two thin chops and grill them like you would any grilled sandwich.

I buy a whole boneless pork loin at Costco. I can almost never find bone in pork for that cheap. :mad:

Bone-in has some fat still attached, whereas boneless is very lean. Bone-in is more forgiving, whereas boneless has to be cooked more precisely to achieve your preference for doneness. Stuffed boneless makes a terrific pregnant presentation.

One little tip I usually use for chops, especially thin slices, is to clip the outer ring of fat here and there with scissors. It prevents it from curling; same principle as scoring the skin of fish.

Thanks everyone, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! I will take a look and see what chops are available. If the bone in look thicker/better then I will get those as long as they aren't too expensive.
Bone in chops should run around 25 cents cheaper than the boneless. If the ones in the counter are too thin, often the butcher will cut them for you from the loin. Costco sells both.

I buy a whole boneless pork loin at Costco. I can almost never find bone in pork for that cheap. :mad:

I like the whole roast too. I get another meaty bone for beans, plus several dinner size packs of cooked pork for freezing.

Every once in a great while the local Rouses store will have a family size pork steaks on sale. They are good for stuffing, and have more flavor than center cut.

Other than pork Tenderloin, bacon, etc, I told my DW 30 years ago...The next time she brought a piece of boneless pork into the house, I was gonna file papers on her:ermm:

:LOL:

Other than pork Tenderloin, bacon, etc, I told my DW 30 years ago...The next time she brought a piece of boneless pork into the house, I was gonna file papers on her:ermm:
:LOL:

At least you might have an exuse. My wife doesn't cook so not even a chanse here for filing the papers. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;)
Generaly speaking bone will have more flavor even if it is a plain beef stake.

Last edited:

Yeah, they are always for sale at Food Basics or No Frills. I cut about 2/3 into chops for the freezer and leave the fatter end for things like pulled pork in the slow cooker, or souvlaki. I'll never buy the bone in while the boneless is cheaper.

Thanks everyone, the meal turned out great! I need more practice at creating pockets and stuffing meat though. Two "worked" and two did not.

I agree that bone-in has more flavor, but for this recipe I'd use boneless, just for ease of preparation and to more easily get a consistent temperature.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom