Bored of dry pork chops, any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peacefulkat

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I love eating pork chops but as soon as they go a bit dry because I am a bit busy to eat, I later add stewed apples on top to moisten. Is there anything else which is simple to add to this meat when it gets too dry?

Pork chops are quite a lean meat and as a result, they dry out easily. There are two things you can do to counteract this:

1. Brine the chops before cooking. They only need a couple of hours to make a difference. Brining locks moisture in the meat and is also a way to add flavor to the meat. Loin cuts (chops) benefit a great deal from brining.

2. Don't overcook the pork. Pork is safe to eat at 145º F. Cooking them more invites dryness to the party. If you brine, you can get away with cooking the to a slightly higher temp.

Yep, I agree, don't cook them as long and they shouldn't be dry.
That said, if you are looking for a simple topping to put on them, some cherry preserves heated with a little lemon juice and red pepper flakes works well.

I bread and fry them. Then I add a little water in the bottom of a pan. I add the fried chops, wrap it tight with foil, and put them in the oven to steam them. It makes them so tender and almost saucy. I love them.

another vote for breading, but we bake them using shake-n-bake.

if you don't like the idea of shake-n-nake, bread and bake them and call them alla milanese. :chef:

I agree with Andy M. - brine them. Salt water not only adds flavor, but it helps protect meat from overcooking to the point of being dry. If you want to mix it up a bit, add some orange or apple juice to the brine. Chardonnay is another good addition.

Here's my mother's method. She always said "you will never get a dry pork chop in my house!"

Large skillet, a little bit of cooking oil (she used Mazola®, I use olive), a 28oz can of pork & beans (she used Campbell's, I use Bush's Homestyle), and four 4oz boneless loin chops. Brown the chops on both sides in cooking oil, remove from skillet, drain off oil and wipe out skillet, return chops to skillet, add 28oz can of beans and one can of cold water. Bring to boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, but before beans start sticking to pan. Serving size: one pork chop and ¼ of the beans and sauce. Add a big green salad and it's a meal.

Last edited:
lol @ the locust boy, sir loin.

how old is he?

i can already see that in my future as we've raised a foodie. he even does a good gordon ramsay, often to the dismay of my wife at dinnertime.

lol @ the locust boy, sir loin.

how old is he?

i can already see that in my future as we've raised a foodie. he even does a good gordon ramsay, often to the dismay of my wife at dinnertime.

I started calling him plague of locusts back before the millenium because he just devoured everything in his path. I'd drop $200 at the grocery store on Saturday and by Tuesday the fridge was empty. He's 28 now, and has moved to JAX, but I am sure his appetite has not waned. The only difference is, now he has to buy his own food, which is why I can afford Omaha Steaks.

You could also try seasoning the chops, then brown on both sides. Then cover with a jar of Ratatouille and bake till done. Serve with rice or mashed potato.

I also like browning the chops then covering with 1 jar of good sauerkraut and 1 cup of apple sauce and 4 or 5 cloves. Cover and bake for 1 hour.

I have to give credit and thanks to the old board members who patiently explain the same thing time after time, after time. My hat is off to you. I just don't have it in me to explain the thing (whatever it might be) that was discussed here many times before and that simple search would answer all possible questions.

All good ways to cook a pork chop. Remember, you can overcook a chop regardless of how you cook it and it will be dry.

I have to give credit and thanks to the old board members who patiently explain the same thing time after time, after time. My hat is off to you. I just don't have it in me to explain the thing (whatever it might be) that was discussed here many times before and that simple search would answer all possible questions.

Following the same line of thought, everything asked on this site has been asked and answered somewhere where it can be found via Google, so no questions at all should be needed, right? A simple search on Google will answer anything you can think of. :ROFLMAO::ermm::wacko:

Sorry, didn't mean to eat the bait....:LOL:

Well, I agree to the extend. People here have become friends. I know exactly who to ask depending on a question. That is why there are forum/boards. But yeah, if you don't know me from adam, google's answer would be as good as mine, probably better.

charlie, old folks like to tell their stories over and over. i guess the same goes for recipes and advice.

One bit of advice that really goes here (and yes, repeating it isn't a problem for me. Sometimes someone says it for the dozenth (good grief, is that a word?) time but I don't catch it the first 11 times. But most people still overcook pork. Get a good meat thermometer and use it!

charlie, old folks like to tell their stories over and over. i guess the same goes for recipes and advice.

That is why I thanked them. Also, thank G-d, since I do not really like to tell same story over and over again it means I am not that old. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom