Boston Butt help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
I am hosting a dinner saturday,
I am gonna roast a boston butt,
can any one tell me how to get the flavor thru out
the meat?any suggestions tips? please?

Most any rub you like but heres a start from Bruce Aidell&Denis KellyHerb Rub for Pork,Lamb or Beef2tsp dried Basil1tsp dried Thyme1Tbls fresh or 2tsp dried Rosemary2tsp dried Oregano1 Tbls crushed Fennel Seeds1 tsp ground coriander2 tsp powdered Garlic2Tbls Salt2tsp coarse ground black pepperMakes about 1/2 cup, if made w/ all dried herbs will keep at room temp for a couple months.For a braising liquid I'd use a sliced onion and a few garlic cloves and a bit of chicken stock or broth.In a 200degree oven for about 8-10 hoursI'm not sure what to recommend for what you specifically expect but the shoulder is perfect for any thing from pulled pork sandwiches to serving as a formal roast with Brussels sprouts etc. Also goes really well with dried fruit and wine or port as a braising liquid.
edit: sorry for the formating, I forgot that quick reply trashes you formating. Got back and reedited this blob.It will not keep my formatting-- Happy 35 to hubby

Last edited:
thanks, I am going formal with this dinner, so i thank you for your input,my dear hubby turns 35 saturday :)

Here is a rub that I use, nothing fancy a variation of Emerald's Essence.
BBQ Rub Pork
2 T Seasoned Salt
2 T Nature’s Blend Season
2 T Paprika
2 T Garlic Powder
1 T Oregano
1 t Italian Seasoning
1 T Thyme
½ t Dry Mustard
1 T Grill Master BBQ (McCormick)

Enjoy,
Charlie