Boston Butt question ! ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
OK, I forgot to take my BButt out of the freezer, Would it hurt it if I put it in a 250' oven over night- till it is done? Or is that crazy? lol, all I need is a couple ok's and I will !

Last edited:
i would say no ... but i have done crazier things ...
put it in a bathtub of water .. it will thaw pretty quick ..

Well my Butt is a cookin'- Left it on the counter, when my son came home last night he put it in the fridge. Think it will be fine ! Its only a 6 lb one, he went in at 7:30 this morning- (even before my Coffee)!:ohmy:
Thanks all who replied.

I cook a pork butt at 225 all night all the time.

Preheat the oven to 400, to sear the outside and kill any bacteria that might be on the roast. As soon as you put the roast in, turn the oven down to 225, and let it cook 18-24 hours.

I haven't done it with a frozen one, but I am sure it would be fine. It would be defrosted in a couple hours.

The interior of the roast shouldn't have any bacteria in it, only the outside.

That is why hamburger is a good way to get food poisoning--the exterior of the cuts, with the bacteria, is mixed all thru the hamburger. If you don't cook the burger til well done, you risk food poisoning. The same thing with whole chickens--if you don't get that interior space hot enough, the bad bugs can live long enough to make you sorry.

sparrowgrass, I too cook at 225 all night long for a boston butt - but a frozen one I'm not so sure about. I know you can cook frozen meats in the oven, and even on the grill - it's just that low slow I have a HUGE question about. I, personally, wouldn't do it. I'm sure you would have to add a good amount of time to the cooking process, which isn't a huge issue. Like I said, my issue is cooking from frozen low and slow. I just am not up on these facts.

Last edited:
Putting a frozen butt in a 225 degree oven is asking for trouble, IMO. The surface of the meat would remain in the danger zone for quite some time, allowing bacteria to multiply and produce spores. Many types of spores are not killed by heat. Thus, IMO, a recipe for food poisoning.

But, as long as the exterior of the meat has not been pierced (resulting in interior contamination), if you sear the outside of the meat at high heat to kill the bacteria and keep the oven hot enough for a while -- long enough to allow the outside to get to and remain above 140 at all times -- and then turn down to 225 ... then I'm not as concerned.

IMO, it's still good practice to thaw meat before cooking.

Last edited:
OK - I have to ask - the outside say 1/2"???? IF (big IF) I were to EVER need to do this I would NOT poke the instant read thermometer in more than 1/2", probably not even that much. It's good to know though for a "just in case" - but I still don't think I'd do it :LOL:

sparrowgrass, last Christmas Eve I cooked a BIG pork butt in my oven, simply sitting on the rack with a sheet cake pan under it full of apple juice. I started it early that morning (around 8:00). It was for Christmas Day but we were going to nibble Christmas Eve. I am soooooooooooooo VERY glad I started it when I did - that thing took about 21 hours to cook but let me tell you, it was like butter in your mouth and made a most delightful Christmas breakfast!!! LOL

muttley.gif

Back
Top Bottom