Braising ham with coke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Using colas to baste/glaze a ham was fairly common, at least here in the South, during WW II due to sugar rationing. It appears that while sugar was rationed and in limited supply (brown sugar was extremely hard to get) - colas were not rationed and were usually readily available, especially in the areas within about 100 miles of a bottling plant. There were other interesting inventions during this time like the Coca-Cola Cake, some qiuick breads, cola glazed pork chops, to make BBQ sauce, etc.

Other colas commonly used to glaze hams were Dr. Pepper for it's fruity "prune" flavor and Root Beer for it's sassafras flavoring.

Now that makes a lot of sense.

I use coke all the time. I also put a can of crushed pineapple on it. If you get a spiral cut ham, there is usually a seasoning packet with it. The packet is mostly brown sugar with a few other spices. I fixed one for Thanksgiving, then used the bone residue along with the leftover glaze to make corn soup. It was outstanding. If you do this, you will not want to cut off the ham that was not spiral cut when you are serving the ham. That way you will have more meat in the soup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom